St Winifred's Church occupies a square of land
on the southern side of Manor Road, opposite Stanwyck Drive on the
southernmost border of Chigwell with the London Borough of Redbridge. The
ancient parish of Chigwell, with the Norman-built St Mary the Less Church
at its heart, was divided in the nineteenth century by the creation of the
new parishes of St John the Baptist Buckhurst Hill (see below), and All
Saints Chigwell Row.
An iron mission room was erected about 1886 at Grange
Hill to provide services for local parishioners, some of whom may have
found St Mary's too far distant. In 1935 the small church of St Winifred
was built on the present site, in front of the mission room, as a chapel
of ease. It is a small brick building faced with cement and is unpainted,
although in 2009 the concrete was visibly flaking in places, especially
at the top of the stubby tower. The mission room became a hall.
Chigwell Convent of the Sacred Heart is on
the northern side of Turpin's Lane, opposite Love Lane. The convent
is the home of the international congregation of the Sisters of the
Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary. The chapel is hidden behind the
frontage. On the 1914 Ordnance Survey map, the area the convent occupies
today was marked as 'Manor House and an orphanage', meaning Chigwell Hall.
It became a convent at some point between then and 1956.
Higher Ground United Reformed Church is
on the southern side of Smeaton Road, close to St Paul Woodford
Bridge. The land was purchased by Ray Lodge Congregational Church
and an iron chapel erected. It remained under the care of Woodford
Congregational Church when Ray Lodge became independent in 1930. In
1947 it became a branch of Woodford Green United Free Church. The
chapel was damaged in the Second World War and replaced by the
St John the Baptist sits well back on the
north-west corner of the High Road and Church Road, on the western
side of Buckhurst Hill, surrounded by a churchyard and a large number
of mature trees. The church, a stone building in the Early English style
on the edge of Epping Forest, was built in 1837 as a chapel of ease to
St Mary the Less, Chigwell. The following year Buckhurst Hill was
constituted a separate ecclesiastical district. The church gained
its own parish in 1867.
The church originally consisted of nave, chancel,
and tower, but several later enlargements also gave it aisles and a
north porch. St John's was responsible for opening two mission
churches in Buckhurst Hill; St Stephen in 1876, and the Holy Child
(later St Elisabeth) in 1936. More recently, the 2009 funeral
service for Jade Goody, a regular on early twenty-first century
reality television in Britain, was held at the church before a
burial service took place at Epping Forest Burial Park.