You have been wonderful! The target for 2019 has been reached in less than a month.
Thank you for supporting the History Files website, for making it possible for more highly detailed historical
information to be researched and written for you, and for making it possible to switch to a secure format later
this year. Your help and support is very much appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£75
Gallery: Churches of East London
by Peter Kessler, 22 May 2011. Updated on 9
Havering Christian Fellowship stands on a
plot on the western side of Craigdale Road, immediately south of the
junction with Brentwood Road. This hall was among several small
undenominational missions in Hornchurch. It was originally known as
Craigdale Hall and was erected in the 1920s. Extensions seem to have
been added over the years. By 2011 it was The Craigdale Centre, Part
of Havering Christian Fellowship, and also the Early Learning Centre.
Romford Evangelical Free Church stands
immediately east of the south-eastern corner of Brentwood Road and
Granger Way, opposite the entrance to Princes Road. The church
originated in 1888, when a mission hall was built in Boundary Road,
about 150 metres (yards) to the west of the present church building.
A free church was formed in 1894 and the present church was erected in
1902, just inside Hornchurch, although physically it was much closer
Zoar Strict Baptist Chapel stands on the
eastern side of Carlisle Road, at its southern end, and facing along
Milton Road. The chapel was formed in 1927, originally using a
building on Hornchurch Road, but by 1936 the members had moved to
Albert Road (two streets to the west of Carlisle Road). The present
building was erected in 1953, when the members moved into their
third and, so far, final building. No sign remains of the Albert
Victoria Road Primitive Methodist Church
is on the northern side of Victoria Road, opposite Albert Road. The
church originated about 1873, thanks to missionaries from Grays in
Essex. A permanent building was erected in 1875 but was wrecked by
bombing during the Second World War. The present building was erected
in 1949-1950 but closed in 1966. It was in use by Havering Mencap in
2000 and now also houses the Redeemed Christian Church of God.
The Carlisle Room (Open Brethren) is hidden
away on the eastern side of Carlisle Road, just a few metres south of
the junction with Victoria Road. The Brethren had five halls in Romford
by the 1960s: Ingrave Hall, Rush Green Hall, Collier Row Hall,
Rise Park Chapel, and The Carlisle Room, registered in 1963. Apparently
it was de-registered in 2008 when the Meeting Hall, 148a Chase
Cross Road, Collier Row, was taken, but in 2011 it was apparently
still in use.
The Parish Church of St Alban Protomartyr Romford
lies behind a picturesque tree line at the north-eastern corner of Princes
Road and King's Road. The church was opened in 1890 as a mission of St
Andrew. A conventional district was formed in 1935, and a separate parish,
taken from St Andrew, was assigned in 1952. The advowson of the vicarage is
vested in the bishop of Chelmsford. A foundation stone was laid in honour of
St Alban, martyred in AD 303.
Church of God (in Romford) stands on the eastern
side of Manor Road, opposite Springwood Way. Founded as The Catholic
Apostolic Church in 1867, a house in the High Street was originally
registered for worship. Meetings were held in the Laurie Hall, Market Place,
from 1869 until about 1894, when an iron church was built in Manor Road. In
1962 that church was re-registered as the undenominational Manor Hall
and by 2009 it was the Church of God.
Gidea Park (Wesleyan) Methodist Church stands
at the north-eastern corner of the roundabout at Brentwood Road and Manor
Avenue, heading east from Romford. The church originated in 1926 when a
school chapel was opened. Extensions were carried out in 1931-1932, and
Gidea Park was transferred to the new Romford circuit in 1947. The present
church building was constructed in 1958 and today it also plays host to
the youth-orientated Re:generation Church.
Christ the Eternal High Priest Catholic Church
stands well back on the eastern side of Brentwood Road, with Cottage Mews
directly behind it and the church hall partially masking the church from
the street. The new Gidea Park parish was formed in 1963, and the church
building, with its unusual octagonal building of brown brick with a
central spirelet, was constructed in the same year. Its windows may
be small, but the light from 360 degrees makes up for that.
Redeemed Christian Church of God, 'Breakthrough
Chapel' lies on the eastern side of Ardleigh Green Road, about
seventy metres south of Cecil Avenue, directly opposite All Saints
Squirrel Heath. The building was erected by Ardleigh Green Baptist
Church which originated in 1914 as a mission of Hornchurch. In 1932
it joined the Essex Baptist Association. The present school chapel was
built on the same site in 1933. Later, the Baptists either left or
reformed as today's church.