The Parish Church of St Paul Harold Hill
stands on a steep slope overlooking the eastern side of Petersfield
Avenue, on the corner with Hucknall Close and next to the Most Holy
Redeemer Catholic Church in Harold Wood. The church was built by St
Peter Harold Wood in 1953 for the eastern half of the new LCC estate.
In 1954 part of Harold Wood's parish was transferred over. A conventional
district was assigned in 1955, and St Paul gained its own separate
parish in 1956.
The Salvation Army hall sits on the
south-western corner of Petersfield Avenue and Oxford Road, nestling
in a dip below road level. In northern Romford the Salvation Army had
a hall in Collier Row Road, which operated between 1937-1941, before
moving to Chase Cross Road, which they registered in 1942. In 1963 the
Army built their present hall in Oxford Road. The hall is small and
square, with an extension built to the front which now forms the
Harold Hill Christian Centre sits on a fairly
long plot on the western side of Gooshays Drive, just north of Trowbridge
Road in Harold Wood. The London City Mission registered this hall in 1961.
It was built in yellow brick with no ornamentation and a small garden area
between it and the railings. An addition to the hall lies to the right of
the photo. By 2010 the centre had been closed down and the property was
being offered for lettings. Its final fate is unknown.
Harold Hill Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses
lies on the northern side of Trowbridge Road, close to Gooshays Drive.
Jehovah's Witnesses registered premises in Victoria Road in 1941-1942,
in Eastern Road in 1951, and this one in Trowbridge Road in 1959. Of
these, only the last remained by 1975, and remains so by 2010. The
building is a standard square block in red brick with a yellow brick
central strip, a style invariably used for many Jehovah's Witnesses halls.
Harold Hill & District Affiliated Synagogue
is on the northern side of Trowbridge Road immediately next door to the
Jehovah's Witnesses hall (see above). The synagogue originated in
1953 when a congregation was formed. It became affiliated in 1954.
Services were held in hired premises until 1958, when a pre-fabricated
building was erected on this site. In 1962 the side walls of the synagogue
were rebuilt in brick, making it the present permanent structure.
St George's Parish Church & Centre Harold Hill
occupies the southern side of Chippenham Road, opposite Farnham Road in
Harold Hill. The church originated in 1939, with a mission being opened
on Straight Road, for an area that was still largely rural. After the war
it was well-placed to serve the western side of the new Harold Hill estate.
In 1953 a new church was opened on the present site. A separate parish was
formed in 1956. The old building was replaced about 2000.
Harold Hill Evangelical Free Church lies
on the southern side of Bridgewater Road, opposite Northallerton Way.
The church was opened in 1956, along with Collier Row Gospel Mission,
with funds raised by the a lay preacher originally from Romford
Evangelical Free Church. Both belong to the Fellowship of Independent
Evangelical churches. By the end of the first decade of the twenty-first
century, the church had a congregation of about fifty adults and
St Dominic's Catholic Church sits on the
western side of Straight Road, a few metres north of the Grange Road
junction and alongside the playing fields. A new Catholic parish for
the western side of Harold Hill was formed in 1954, as the estate there
was being built, and the church was opened in 1956, with a primary day
school attached. The building is of a fairly standard period red brick
design with concrete insets around the doors and windows and a southern
Heaton Way United Reformed Church sits in
the shadow of a tower block, on the northern side of Chaucer Road,
midway between Sheridan Close and Cowley Road. It originated in 1950,
when Romford Congregational Church and Main Road Baptist Church opened
a joint Sunday school. The Baptists left for Taunton Road in 1955. The
Congregationalists eventually formed their own church in 1960, and in
1962 completed the building in Heaton Way. It became a URC building in 1972.
Varley Memorial Hall stands on a plot that
is open on three sides on the south-western corner of Briar Road as
it hooks to the south from Straight Road. The hall was first registered
by the Christian Community in 1962. It is a simple brick
rectangular building, whitewashed, with a gently inclining felt roof and
extra additions to the rear and side (both of which are visible here)
By 2010 it was occupied by the New Testament Church of God: Pentecostal.