You have been wonderful! The target for 2019 has been reached in less than a month.
Thank you for supporting the History Files website, for making it possible for more highly detailed historical
information to be researched and written for you, and for making it possible to switch to a secure format later
this year. Your help and support is very much appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£75
Gallery: Churches of East London
by Peter Kessler, 8 January 2012. Updated 2 August 2012.
Newham Part 3: Churches of Silvertown, North
Woolwich & Beckton
Silvertown Presbyterian Church stood on Tate
Road in Silvertown between the docks and the River Thames, although the
exact spot is not known. The church was built in 1882, by local
manufacturers. It was bombed during the Blitz which flatted much of the
docks and was not rebuilt. Victoria Docks Presbyterian Church,
Hack Road (now lost), was built in 1872 by James Duncan, the sugar-refiner,
to meet the needs of his Scottish workers. This was also lost in the Blitz.
Our Lady & St Edward Catholic Church
stood midway along Newland Street, on the southern side, overlooking
the docks. The first church of this name was opened in Bailey Street
in 1887, and completed in 1892. In 1915, when the site of the church
and its school was taken over for the building of the King George V
Dock, a temporary church was erected in Newland Street. This was
replaced by a permanent church in 1921, but today the site is covered
by new housing.
St John with St Mary and St Edward Parish
Church of North Woolwich with Silvertown stands on the northern
side of Albert Road, opposite Henley Road and a few metres east of
Fernhill Street. The church seems to have succeeded St John the
Evangelist, Elisabeth Street (now Woodman Street, see below).
That church was built in 1872, and gained a parish in 1877. It was
demolished after being Blitzed in 1940. The modern co-faith church
probably dates from the 1960s.
North Woolwich Methodist Church stood on
Albert Road. It originated about 1870, with missions conducted by
Wesleyans from Woolwich. A brick church was opened on the north side
of Albert Road in 1871, near the docks and railway. In 1914 it was
demolished due to subsidence and replaced by an iron church. This
was closed for a time at the start of the war and damaged by bombing
in 1943. It opened again in 1949 but finally closed in 1959, the site
North Woolwich Primitive Methodist Church
stood at the corner of Woodman Street (then Elisabeth Street) and
Storey Street (on the right). It was built in 1880 but was completely
destroyed by bombing. Elizabeth Street Mission Hall was a brick
building dating from the late 1800s and is probably identical to the
Elizabeth Street Gospel Hall of 1903. It was still registered in
1952. Holy Trinity Family Chapel survives at Gallions Point Marina,
overlooking the Thames.
St Mark's Mission Church stood on Ferndale
Street (on the right of the photo), in the Cyprus area in the
south-eastern section of Beckton. The church was built about 1890, in
connection with St Michael & All Angels Beckton (see below). An
iron hall was added in 1911 at the expense of the Gas Light & Coke
Co, but the church was closed in 1952. The building was derelict in 1966
and by 2011 was nowhere to be found. The entire street has since been
Beckton Primitive Methodist Church stood
on Winsor Terrace, in the north-east of Beckton. The church originated
about 1875, in cottage services. Missioners from Canning Town later
opened a Sunday school. By 1901 the society was occupying a church
building on Winsor Terrace which had been erected by the Gas Light
& Coke Company (whose former entrance gates are shown here). By
1965 it belonged to the North Thames Gas Board. Its exact location
The Church of St Michael & All Angels
stood at the junction of East Ham Manor Way and Winsor Terrace (the
area has been totally rebuilt and the roads renamed, but the roundabout
marks the former junction). It opened in 1883 as a mission for St Mary
East Ham, was destroyed by fire in 1887, and immediately rebuilt. About
1906 the original iron building was replaced by a permanent church on a
new site. It was damaged during the Blitz in 1941 and later demolished.
St Mark's (New) Church Beckton & Community
Centre is on the south-western corner of Tollgate Road with
Kingsford Way. It replaced St Mark's (Old) Church, which was closed
down in the 1980s. The population of this former docks area has grown
rapidly over the last few years, from 5,500 in the 1991 census to a
population in 2010 of around 20,000. The church also plays host to
Roman Catholic services, in conjunction with St John with St Mary and
St Edward (see above).
Ascension Church Centre Victoria Docks stands
at the south-western corner of Baxter Road and Prince of Wales Road. The
church originated in 1887, when a mission hall was built by the vicar of
St Luke's. A new church was built between 1903-1907, and it gained a
separate parish in 1905, taken from St Luke's. A mission house for women
workers was opened in 1909 and still existed in 1966. In 1961 the parish
gained that of the former St Matthew Custom House.