The latest web browsers are making it impossible to avoid
providing a fully secure website, but unfortunately that costs. The History Files
is a non-profit site and hosting fees are also an issue, so we need your help.
Please click anywhere inside this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that
we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully secure
site. If every visitor donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs
in a day! Your support is highly appreciated.
St Stephen's Church in the parish of
Walthamstow began in 1874 when a temporary church was built in
Copeland Road on the current site, which was donated by Alfred Janson
and Henry Ford Barclay to serve that part of St Mary's parish. St
Stephen gained its own parish in 1881, formed partly from St Mary's,
Walthamstow, and partly from St Mary's, Leyton. A permanent church
building, designed by W G Habershon, was consecrated next to the
temporary one in 1878.
St Stephen's was responsible for three missions,
one in Western Road in 1891, the Forest mission (now St Peter's),
and West Street in 1894 (demolished 1961). The church of St Stephen was demolished in
1969 because it was found to be structurally weak. The church hall, built in
Copeland Road in 1880, was altered for use as the church building.
Around the turn of the Millennium, the old building was replaced
entirely by a new multi-purpose construction.
Kingsway International Christian Centre,
on Hoe Street, began life in 1992, at a hall in Holloway Boys School
in North London. The initial congregation was 200, while fifteen
years later it numbered 12,000. Located in Hackney for nine years,
they were forced to vacate for the London 2012 Olympics development,
and found a new home on Hoe Street late in 2007. The church later
applied for planning permission to begin a new site in Rainham in
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
is located at 378 Hoe Street in Walthamstow. Opened at some point
after 1990 by the London Temple in Surrey, which is the mother church
in Britain, the church serves wards (or congregations) from Lea
Valley and Whitechapel. All main Latter-Day Saints churches are
known as temples, following the tradition established by King
Solomon in the eleventh century BC, while the smaller buildings such
as this one are known as chapels.
Central Baptist Church is at the eastern end
of Orford Road, leading off Hoe Street. Originally known as Central
Church, Orford Road, it began life in 1874, when services were held
for the Markhouse common district which stretched from the River
Lea. An iron hall was erected on the corner of nearby Boundary Road and
Boston Road (now a cul-de-sac) in 1875 and a permanent church was built in
1880, although not the one that stands here today.
In 1914 the present church building was erected
on Orford Road as a large red-brick Gothic building with a south-west tower.
Membership fell from 318 in 1915 to 296 in 1916 when some of the
original Boundary Road members, finding their new church to be too
distant, seceded and opened a small iron hut in Boundary Road (and
later a full church). In 1939, the Orford Road church had 349 members, and
in 1967, 269. By 2009, this had shrunk to about seventy.
West Avenue Congregational Hall began in 1861
as Trinity Congregational Church, when some Marsh Street members seceded.
After holding private services, they soon built a small wooden hall called
the Ark. This was replaced by the current brick building in 1864. A full
church was opened next door in 1870, and the old building became a lecture
hall. It was let for storage in 1935, sold in 1952 and in 1970 was a
pet-food premises. It is now a Village Drop-In centre.
Trinity United Reformed Church is located
on the corner of West Avenue and Orford Road, a little way east of
the Baptist church. The building was constructed next to the
original small church in 1870, which can be seen behind it, in the
far right of this photo. Under J W Ellis (1878-1890) the church grew,
and a permanent mission was started in an iron hall on Arkley Road
where it meets Markhouse Road (the area has since been totally
redeveloped, leaving no trace of the hall).
Another mission was started at South Grove in
1881, but this was handed over in 1925 to become South Grove Presbyterian
Church. The main church building was enlarged in 1900, and by 1939
membership was 109. In 1944-1945 the church was severely
damaged by bombing, and was restored in 1959. In 1965 it was joined
by the Marsh Street congregation. The combined membership in 1968
was 93, and in 1969-1970 the church building was very much altered.
Walthamstow National Spiritualist Centre
is on Vestry Road, close to St Mary's. Originally St Mary's National
School, the building was erected in 1819 on part of the Workhouse Acre.
It was designed to accommodate a Master and Mistress along with two
hundred pupils. The National Spiritualist church originated in 1920,
when services were started in a hall next to the Post Office sorting
office. In 1924 the congregation took over the present premises,
opposite the museum.