You have been wonderful! The target for 2019 has been reached in less than a month.
Thank you for supporting the History Files website, for making it possible for more highly detailed historical
information to be researched and written for you, and for making it possible to switch to a secure format later
this year. Your help and support is very much appreciated.
The Church of St Barnabas is on St
Barnabas Road, north of Boundary Road. Worship here began in 1900,
when an iron mission church was erected within the parish of St
Saviour (see below). A separate parish was formed in 1901, the
advowson of the vicarage being vested in the bishop. In 1903 a
permanent church was built at the expense of Richard Foster, who
also gave the sites for the church, church hall, and vicarage house.
The church is an imposing edifice of red brick
with stone dressings, designed by W D Caröe, and has a small spired
turret at the north-west corner and late-Gothic windows. In 1961 the
parish of St Barnabas was united with that of St James the Greater,
located at the north end of Markhouse Road, with St Barnabas
remaining the parish church while St James was closed and later
demolished. Afterwards, a chapel of St James was formed in the south
aisle of St Barnabas.
Walthamstow Seventh Day Adventist Church
is on the corner of Boundary Road and Devonshire Road. Worship first
began on the site when it was purchased by the Walthamstow and Leyton
Synagogue in 1902, but the church closed between 1914 and 1922 when the
synagogue moved further down the street to buy the larger site of the
old Baptist church. The Seventh Day Adventists took over the
site in 1922 and the present red-brick church was built in 1928.
Boundary Road Baptist Church on
Boundary Road was founded after a permanent Baptist church was built on Orford
Road. Some members of the original Boundary Road iron church found
this to be too distant. They seceded and opened a small iron hut on
this site, but this closed in 1914 and was later taken over by the
Walthamstow and Leyton Synagogue. The brown-brick Samuel
Goldman Memorial hall adjoining the church (on the far left here)
was built in 1956.
Boundary Road Evangelical Church is a
little way further west from the former Baptist church. Information
on it is extremely patchy, but it seems possible that when the large
Baptist church building was sold to the Walthamstow and Leyton
Synagogue between 1914 and 1922, the Baptists moved to this smaller
unadorned brown-brick building which would have been more economical
to maintain. It remains in use by them to this day.
St Saviour's Parish Church is on Markhouse
Road, which forms the western boundary line of central Walthamstow.
The church was founded on 11 June 1873 with a service conducted by
the bishop of Rochester, who also consecrated the building a year
later. The money for the land and for the building of the church was
donated by John Knowles and Richard Foster, partners in an old
established trading company which became known as Knowles and Foster
Construction was carried out by Messrs Henshaw,
from designs by Mr F T Dolman. The church was faced with Kentish
rag, with Tisbury stone dressings. The bell tower on the north-west
corner is surmounted by a tall spire, and contains a peal of bells
from the foundry of John Warner & Sons of London. In 1945 the church
suffered extensive fire damage which destroyed the nave roof, organ,
choir stalls and most of the sacristy. Rebuilding was completed in
Lighthouse Methodist Church is on
Markhouse Road. It originated in 1887, when members of Pembury Grove
in the Hackney circuit opened a Walthamstow mission in Myrtle Road.
A church was formed in 1888 and consisted of eleven members. In 1889
Captain King of the Bullard King line of steamers, who was already
associated with Free Methodist churches in West Ham, helped to
provide the present site and donated an iron hall.
The permanent church was opened in 1893. Its
unusual design, with a lighthouse angle turret and revolving beam,
was perhaps influenced by Captain King's seafaring connections. This
was the best-attended nonconformist church in Walthamstow in 1903,
with total Sunday congregations of 1,523, although by 1904 there
were 'only' 361 members, drawn from the local working class
residents. The church became noted for its missionary and social
South Grove Free Presbyterian Church.
opposite Markhouse Avenue. begun in 1881 as a mission for Trinity
Church (now Trinity United Reformed). In 1925 the South Grove
mission was handed over to Brethren from Folkestone Road, who had an
unusually strong following in Walthamstow. They purchased the
building in 1933. At some point between then and now the old
building was demolished to make way for this multi-function version,
probably in the 1980s.