Uniting (Methodist) Church is on
Connington Crescent, which leads north from Hatch Lane in Chingford
Hatch. In 1644 there was an indictment of being absent from church
for one Abraham Burton. In 1790 the only dissenters in the parish
were 'two or three Methodists'. In 1862 a small Wesleyan church was
built on Hatch Lane, but was compulsorily acquired by the council
for a slum clearance scheme in 1936. This new church was built in
1948, but by 2009 it looked disused.
The Salvation Army, Chingford Mount Road
began in 1935, when the Army opened a citadel on the road. The
precise location for the Army citadel cannot be verified. It was
somewhere around the junction with Hampton Road, some metres south
of South Chingford Congregational Church. Possibly it was later
demolished and this small building put up in its place, as it is now
the only likely candidate. Unfortunately, even this is now used only
for secular purposes.
South Chingford Congregational Church is
on Chingford Mount Road at the corner with Hampton Road. The church
originated in work done by Baptists and Congregationalists in the
Chingford Mount district. In 1901 this mission was taken over by
Buxton Road Congregational Church and in 1905 an iron building was
erected on the site. In 1919, the church became independent and
appointed its first minister. The current building was erected in 1954.
The Parish Church of St Edmund Chingford
is a little further north of the Congregational church, on the
north-eastern side of Chingford Mount Road on the corner with
Larkswood Road. The church was opened in 1909, probably on its
present site, although this cannot be confirmed. The current church
hall (shown here) was built in 1927, and a new church was designed
by N F Cachemaille-Day, one of the most influential British
architects of the 1930s, in 1938.
A commemoration stone was inset into the wall of
the new church which read: 'This stone was laid by Mrs Inskip on 8th October
1938'. The patronage was originally held by the bishop and the Crown
alternately but the Crown last appointed a minister of the district
in 1936. The church gained its own parish in 1939, covering South
Chingford and the northernmost part of Walthamstow, and since then
the advowson of the vicarage has been held by the bishop alone.
South Chingford Brotherhood & Sisterhood
meet in Brotherhood Hall, within Libro Court, directly opposite St
Edmund's. The Brotherhood Movement opened a hall in Chingford Mount
Road in 1926. This was rebuilt in 1954 as the Emerson Memorial Hall,
but by 2009 meetings were being held in Libro Court, which was
probably built in the 1960s. Of the memorial hall there is now no
sign. It was probably demolished to make way for the large new
housing complex to the south.
The Methodist Church South Chingford
is on New Road, opposite Brook Crescent in Chingford Mount, a little
further north of the parish church. It occupies a fairly broad site,
with the church on the southern side of the road and a large hall
beside it (out of shot, to the right here). The hall served as the
first church when it was opened in 1931. When the new church
building opened in 1935, the old one was relegated to its current
All Saints (The Old Church) in the parish
of Chingford, lies just north of Chingford Mount, on Old Church
Road, opposite Walthamstow Cemetery. The oldest church in the
region, it was first mentioned in 1181. It was evidently built on
the manor of Chingford Earls. In 1265 there was a chapel on the
manor of Chingford St Pauls. With this exception the parish church
appears to have been the only place of worship until the nineteenth
century. The tower was added in 1400.
The church gained the dedication of All Saints by
1397. By 1710 its name had been changed to St Peter & St Paul, but
in 1840 it was in such a bad state of repair that it was abandoned and
a new church built on Chingford Green. This was completed in 1844 and was
dedicated to St Peter & St Paul, Chingford. The 'old church'
regained the name of All Saints. It was allowed to decay but was
restored in 1928-1930 and is now used regularly as a chapel-of-ease.
Chingford Mount Baptist Church
is at 1a Leadale Avenue, on the corner with Old Church Road just a
short way north of All Saints. A Baptist mission at north Chingford
(1888) and another at south Chingford (1901) were both taken over by
the Buxton Road Congregational Church, so a Strict Baptist place of
worship in King's Road was formed in 1934. The Baptist church in
Leadale Avenue was founded in 1936 by the same group. The present
building was erected in 1961.