Whitefield's Tabernacle Tottenham Court Road
stands on the western side of the street, about fifty metres (yards)
north of Tottenham Street. Also known as Tottenham Court Road Chapel,
it was originally surrounded by fields and gardens. It was built in 1756 for
George Whitefield, and enlarged in 1759 thanks to its popularity. John Wesley
preached a sermon 'On the death of the Rev Mr George Whitefield' both here and
at Whitefield's Tabernacle Moorfields in 1770.
In 1890 the building was re-erected as Whitefield's
Central Mission. On Palm Sunday 1945 it was destroyed by the last V2
rocket to fall on London. The present chapel was built in 1957. Since 1976,
The American Church in London been based here, thanks to the loan of
the building by the United Reformed Church, when they were forced to move
from North Audley Street (close to St Mark's) in 1972. The London Chinese
Lutheran Church also uses the building.
St John the Evangelist Charlotte Street stood
close to Fitzroy Square, near to the junction with Chitty Street, although
precisely where is hard to pinpoint now. The church was constructed and
consecrated in 1847 (or 1852), possibly beginning as Fitzroy Chapel.
Also known as St John Upper Charlotte Street, from 1868 it was called
Fitzroy Square St John. When it was demolished is not known, but in 1904
its parish was absorbed into that of its parent parish church.
St Saviour London Street stood approximately at
the junction of Maple Street with Fitzroy Street (although the corner of
Whitfield and Maple Street is shown here). Also known as St Saviour
Fitzroy Square, the church was completed and consecrated in 1865. As
with a number of churches in this area of Westminster, it was closed and
demolished early, by 1904, and its parish was absorbed into that of its
parent parish church. No sign of it remains today.
St James Hampstead Road stood on the eastern side
of Hampstead Road, opposite the entrance to Robert Street. The church was
consecrated in 1791 as a cemetery chapel for St James Piccadilly's 'new'
cemetery farther out of town (as it then was). In 1864 it became a parish
church in its own right, but was closed and demolished by 1954. Its parish
was united to St Pancras New Church. Much of the former cemetery grounds
survive, as do a selection of tombs and markers.
St Mary Magdalene Munster Square stands on the
southern flank of Munster Square, and on the eastern side of Osnaburgh Street,
where the street adjoins the square. This church was the last to be designed
by R H Carpenter. It is rather square, built in pale ragstone, and contains
a north spire. The site is cramped, in an area which has consistently been
poor. Completed in 1852, the church was called 'the most artistically correct
new church yet consecrated in London'.
St George's Cathedral, Antiochan Orthodox
Church is at the north-east corner of Albany Street and Nash Street,
in the western section of St Pancras. The building was erected in 1837
by the Anglican Church to serve the working class Cumberland Market
district that was growing up at this time. Opened as Christ Church
Albany Street (Redhill Street), it was built by Sir James Pennethorne
(1801-1871) with minimal exterior decoration and a comparatively small steeple.
The church was patronised by Christina Rossetti,
sister of Dante Gabriel Rossetti, for about two years, while she
lived in Albany Street. With church-going declining, Christ Church
was closed in 1989 and its parish united to that of St Mary
Magdalene Munster Square (see above). Soon afterwards the building
was taken over by the Antiochan Church and given its present name,
making it one of two such churches in London, the other being St
Botolph without Bishopsgate.
The Danish Church of St Katharine is at 4 Saint
Katherine's Precinct, between Outer Circle and Albany Street, facing
out over Regent's Park to the west and Park Village West to the east
(shown here). The first Danish church building in London was erected
on Wellclose Square, east of the Tower of London, in 1696. The church
moved to several different locations in subsequent years, finally settling
at the Danish Seaman's Church in Foreign Harbours in 1867.
This building remained open until 1985, but during
the Second World War and in the years up until 1952, Danish services
were held in the Swedish Church in Harcourt Street as well as in St Clement
Danes. From that point both of the two Seaman's pastors worked at the Danish
Church in Regent's Park: St Katherine's. The church was built in 1827 as a
chapel and dedicated to Saint Katharine. In 1952 it became the home of the
Danish Church and was thoroughly renovated.