The latest web browsers are making it impossible to avoid
providing a fully secure website, but unfortunately that costs. The History Files
is a non-profit site and hosting fees are also an issue, so we need your help.
Please click anywhere inside this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that
we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully secure
site. If every visitor donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs
in a day! Your support is highly appreciated.
Since 1984, Christ Apostolic Church Kingswell
has used 202-204 Page Green Terrace, Tottenham High Road, just north
of South Tottenham railway station. It seems the building was first
used as a place of worship in the 1890s, when nearby High Cross Church
operated a mission at Page Green. This may have been next door however
(on the left here), as this hall was used as the Salvation Army Page
Green Tottenham citadel from 1891, registered in 1895.
High Cross Church (United Reformed) is on
Colsterworth Road, on the north-eastern corner with the High Road.
The church was founded largely through the efforts of William John
Eales, a wealthy Bruce Grove merchant and a member of Edmonton Congregational
Church. Besides hiring a lecture hall for services in 1866 Eales was
instrumental in enrolling members for a new church in 1867, and in
erecting the church on the High Road opposite High Cross Green.
The ambitious building, designed to seat 600, was
opened in 1868, and a mission was opened at Page Green. Adjoining
property along the High Road was bought in 1907 and exchanged in 1919
for land behind the church, where two temporary halls were put up. A
brick memorial hall was opened there in 1929, after the earlier
buildings had been moved. The church itself, a Gothic structure of
stone with some ornamental brickwork, was altered internally in the
The Anglican Parish Church of Holy Trinity
Tottenham is on the south-western corner of Phillip Lane and
the High Road. The church was built between 1828-1830 to a design
by James Savage, modelled on King's College Chapel, Cambridge.
It was first consecrated as a chapel for All Hallows, to serve the
growing population in the southern end of the parish. The original
cost was met by public subscription. The first stone was laid in
The new chapel, originally opposite Tottenham
High Cross (since relocated twenty metres further north), was consecrated
on 26 May 1830. The Early English style yellow stock brick church
gained its own district chapelry in 1844, and a school was built in
front of it. Attendance was poor in 1851 and was denounced as
scandalous for so respectable a community in 1879. New seating was
provided in July 1906 when the capacity of the church was reduced.
Holy Trinity Lutheran Church is at 53 Antill
Road, immediately east of Holy Trinity. A group of German bakers settled
near South Tottenham during the late nineteenth century and secured a
pastor from the Lutheran Church in Missouri, USA. The church, combined
with a school building, was dedicated in 1901, registered by Lutherans
of the unaltered Augsburg Confession in 1923, and reregistered by the
Evangelical Lutheran Church of England in 1948.