York Baptist Church is on the western side of
Priory Street just south of Micklegate. York's first Baptist preacher
was licensed in 1672, and an early Baptist society appeared before 1800.
Meetings took place in the Grape Lane Chapel for a time. The present
church was formed in 1862 when the Lecture Hall in Goodramgate was hired.
They opened the present building as the Baptist Chapel in June
1868, based on the designs of William Peachey of Darlington.
Rock Church is on the eastern side of Priory
Street opposite Dewsbury Terrace. New Street (Wesleyan) Chapel
was opened by Wesleyan Methodists in 1805 and closed in 1908. Albion
Chapel, at the corner of Albion Street and Skeldergate, opened in 1816
and closed in 1861, thanks to the success of the new building, Wesley
Methodist Chapel (shown here), which opened in 1856. When the Methodist
church became the alternative worship 'Rock' is not known.
The Parish Church of St Mary Bishophill Junior
is on the northern side of Bishophill Junior, opposite Prospect Terrace.
In Roman York, Bishophill was the site of the civilian settlement. No
convincing explanation of the names of this or the Bishophill Senior
church has yet been found. Architectural evidence above ground suggests
that Junior is the older church, and that both Bishophill churches were
founded before (and perhaps long before) the Conquest.
The Junior church is first mentioned in a papal
confirmation of 1194. The church comprises a nave with north and south
aisles, chancel with north aisle, and a porch and west tower. The tower
is the earliest piece of parochial church architecture of any size
surviving in the city and is probably from the early eleventh century
on older (Saxon) foundations (with bits of Roman tile in its make-up).
St Mary's also plays host to St Constantine's Greek Orthodox
St Columba with New Lendal United Reformed Church
is on the western side of Priory Street at the junction with Bishophill
Junior and Dewsbury Terrace (southern exit). The church was built as
the Presbyterian Chapel, opened on 6 November 1879 for a congregation
that was established in 1873 when they worshipped in a hall in Goodramgate.
When originally built, the church had a tall tower at the south eastern
corner which was visible over the City wall.
Elsewhere, Salem Congregational Chapel was
built in Saint Saviour's Place in 1839, but this closed in 1934. A
small group continued to meet in a room there until 1954. York
City Mission existed between 1848-1956 in various rooms, but the
members of both joined St Columba eventually. After the Second World
War the tower (pictured here) was found to be unsafe and was taken down
in about 1950. In 1994 St Columba was united with New Lendal, Burton Stone Lane.
Five photos on this page contributed by Colin Hinson.