Clifton Parish Church of St Philip &
St James stands on the eastern side of Clifton Moor, just
north of the junction with Water End. The church was built between
1866-1867 on a site adjacent to Clifton Green, using brick faced
with Bradford stone, with Ancaster stone dressings, in the Gothic
style. It comprises nave, transept, and chancel with west tower. It
was assigned a Consolidated Chapelry in 1871 out of St
Michael-without-Walmgate Bar and contains six bells.
The Chapel, Clifton Park Hospital lies at the
far western end of Clifton Park Avenue, looking out over the River Ouse
in Clifton Park to the north of York. The chapel was built for North Riding
Asylum, which opened in the 1840s. The chapel was added in 1873. The asylum
became Clifton Hospital, and this was closed in 1994. The chapel was converted
into office space by the Thompson Spencer Partnership and was leased to Norwich
Union Life Services in December 2001.
All Saints Huntington lies at the western end
of Church Lane, on the western side of Huntington. The first church on
this site was late Saxon, replaced about 1200 and possibly reconstructed
again in the fifteenth century. The church was almost entirely rebuilt in
1874, in the Perpendicular style, and using magnesium limestone to compliment
the original design. The old nave was pulled down. The narthex at the back
was built in 2006 while the new tower contains eight bells.
Huntington Methodist Church lies on the eastern
side of Strensall Road, midway between Avon Drive and Connaught Way. The
chapel was built by Wesleyan Methodists at a date before 1857. It was
enlargened in 1867, and rebuilt in 1900. It formerly had a tower (where
the entrance porch is today), which was probably removed in 1900, along
with the front wall and bushes. Apart from these changes, the remainder
looks remarkably unchanged, despite the rebuild.
The Catholic Church of St Paulinus lies on
the south-east corner of Monckton Road and Abbotsway. The church was
built in 1963 as a chapel of ease to the north-east section of St
Wilfrid's parish. The church gained its own parish in 1968. Paulinus
was the first Christian missionary to visit the kingdom of Northumbria,
after arriving with St Augustine in AD 601. He was responsible for
converting King Edwin of Northumbria in 625 as the bishop of the
All photos on this page contributed by Colin Hinson.