St Mary the Virgin, Strensall, lies at the
north-western end of Church Lane, on the upper edge of the village.
The first church here seems to have been Norman, built between
1100-1150. It had rubble walls with dressings of Tadcaster or Bramham
Moor stone. The interior fittings were basic, while the seats were made
of thick, rough-hewn oak. By 1166 Strensall was held by York Minster.
The original church building was in a state of decay when a full rebuild
The vestry was added in the 1960s and by 2010 was
also serving as the church hall. Extensive rebuilding on the original
foundations was carried out in 1803-1804, but the work, in brick, lacked
any style or quality. By 1863 this building was in a very dilapidated
condition and after being damaged by autumn gales a replacement was decided
upon. The present church was completed in the Early Decorated style in
1866 to a design by the architects J B and W Atkinson of York.
Strensall Methodist Church is on the southern
side of The Village, opposite the road that evolves into Pottery Lane
little further along. A Wesleyan chapel apparently existed here from 1823
and was certainly in existence in 1857. This was replaced by the present
red brick building with its narrow frontage in 1895. A Primitive Methodist
chapel also existed in the village between 1879-1889, but clearly did not
prosper, as it closed well before the Methodist Union in 1932.
The Church of the Holy Trinity, Stockton on the
Forest, can be found on the eastern side of The Village, perhaps thirty
metres (yards) north of The Elms. The parish lies to the east of the ancient
Forest of Galtres, in which it was once included. The first church to be
constructed on this site was medieval, possibly late Norman, but little seems
to be known of it. This was destroyed in 1808 when a new church was built, but
this version barely lasted the century.
In 1895 the church was completely rebuilt, in the
thirteenth century Gothic style, in white brick with stone dressings,
consisting of nave and chancel with a tower on the north-west side
surmounted by a slate-covered spire. The tower contains four bells,
all cast in 1892. There are numerous eighteenth and nineteenth century
tablets to members of the local Agar family, while the church was
transferred from the prebendary of Bugthorpe to the archbishop of York
Stockton on the Forest Methodist Church is on
the eastern side of The Village, midway between the junctions with The
Elms and Beanland Lane. The date upon which the church was founded is
unknown, but it lies close to a site in the forest upon which the ghostly
appearance of an army was noted on two separate occasions, in 1792 and 1812.
The church building itself underwent extensive rebuilding (or the construction
of an entirely new building) about 2007-2008.
All photos on this page contributed by Colin Hinson.