St Andrew's Mission is on Cossack Street,
to the south of St Peter's. This church was a mission or district
church established to serve the Delce. It had no separate ecclesiastical
parish of its own and was part of St Peter's parish. The church was
opened as an Anglican mission in 1889, and ceased to be used in 1973
after surviving the threat of demolition a decade before. In about 1980
it was taken over by Medway Towns Gurudwara Sabha, and now serves as a
The Mission of Our Lady of Walsingham and St
Francis is an Anglican Catholic Church located within Fort
Pitt Military Cemetery, off City Way, a little to the south-east of
Cossack Street. The mission was established in Strood in 1993 and
originally dedicated simply to Saint Francis. Confusion sometimes
arose because there was another church in that area with the same
dedication, so the decision was made to add an additional patron,
creating the current name.
The military cemetery which houses the mission is
close to the Napoleonic Fort Pitt. It was founded in the 1850s and
the earliest graves are of soldiers killed in the Crimea. Its chapel
is owned by the British Army and in 2001 permission was obtained to
use the chapel. However, it wasn't all plain sailing. On the night
of 17 March 2008 the mission suffered from a devastating attack of
vandalism. It was thoroughly smashed up, and repairs took time,
being completed by 2009.
Medway Family Church is on the northern
side of Jasper Avenue, directly to the south of Cossack Street. The
church officially began on Sunday 3 January 1993, although informal
meetings began in September 1992. During 1992, the local Zion
Baptist Church realised that because of diminishing numbers they
would have to close, so they contacted the Medway group of
Newfrontiers to see if there was any way the groups could join up to
form a new church.
Medway Family Church was born from the union of
Newfrontiers in Medway and the Zion church. They were joined by a
few people from Dartford Christian Fellowship (also a Newfrontiers
church), but in 1998 the use of the Zion Baptist building was lost
due to structural decay and damage (it is now a Blockbuster Video
shop in Chatham). The church moved to two different buildings before
arriving in Jasper Avenue late in 2002. Expansion work followed in
St Margaret's Cemetery Chapel lies to the
west of Jasper Avenue, along Dale Road and then into Maidstone Road.
The chapel consists of a central tower and Episcopal and Nonconformist
chapels on either side of it. The first burials were interred here in
1865, not long after London ceased all inner city churchyard burials
and other regions were following suit. It serves what is now Rochester
City Council's area within the bend of the River Medway.
St John Fisher Catholic Church is a short
way south of the cemetery, on the western side of Maidstone Road.
Saint John Fisher (1469-1535) was an English Roman Catholic bishop
and cardinal. He was executed by order of Henry VIII during the
English Reformation for refusing to accept him as head of the Church
of England. He is the only member of the College of Cardinals to
have suffered martyrdom. Unfortunately, no information on the church
itself can be found.
St Luke's Methodist Church is on St
William's Way, directly south of Jasper Avenue and south-east of St
John Fisher. The age of the building cannot be ascertained, but it
probably dates to the 1960s or soon afterwards. In 2009, the church
had a membership of around sixty people of varying ages. It also
served as a centre for various group within the local community, and
in addition to the church itself, there were two large function
rooms and a well-equipped kitchen.
St Justus Church is a large modern
building which sits on the corner of Anchor Road and The Fairway.
Following the development of the St William's Way area and the
Warren Wood Estate from 1947-1955, it was decided that a new church
should be built. Prior to this local Anglicans had attended either
St Margaret's or St Peter's in Rochester. From 21 January 1955 a
few people began gathering for worship in a hut in Fleet Road, now
occupied by Hybrid Close.
This was known as Little St Margaret's.
On 3 September 1955, the foundation stone of St Justus Church was
laid, and consecration took place on 9 November 1956. During the
great storm on 16 October 1987, the building collapsed, possibly
due to a temporary wall being unable to take the full force of the
wind, which caused the roof to collapse. The building had to be
demolished. On 3 September 1990, work officially started on the