The King's Church is a Pentecostal church
which sits on the eastern side of the lane known as King's Place, which
links lower King's Street to Abbots Hill. It is visible from King's Street
itself. By 1936, Mount Zion Strict Baptist Chapel existed in Camden
Road, Abbots' Hill, a few metres north of this location (since replaced by
Mount Zion House), while the present building was the King Cinema. That
closed, probably in the 1980s or 1990s, and the Baptists took over the site.
Cavendish Baptist Church sits on the southern
side of Cavendish Street, opposite Cavendish Villa. It was an early
nonconformist place of worship in Ramsgate, at a time when the town
was undergoing a building boom after the Napoleonic Wars. It existed
as Cavendish Chapel by 1849 but probably closed after the
Second World War, when congregations dwindled, and merged with
King's Church. The building is now Clarendon House Grammar School
Hardres Street United Church, is on the
western corner of Hardres Street and Broad Street. It opened before
1849 as Beulah Chapel, and later became a Wesleyan Chapel. In
1911, the Wesleyan Centenary Hall & Sunday Schools was also
opened a little further up Hardres Street. The church was badly damaged
during the Second World War and had to be replaced. When the Meeting
Street Congregational church closed, the churches merged at this site.
St George the Martyr sits at the top of Church
Hill, off Church Street and Broad Street. With the building of the Royal
Harbour and the interest in sea bathing made popular by royalty, the
population of Ramsgate rapidly swelled. At a meeting in 1823, the decision
was taken to build a church to seat 2,000 with free sittings for 1,200.
Land was purchased from the Townley family and the Gothic church was
built to a design by Henry Hemsley (who died before work started).
The church was consecrated on 23 October 1827 as
Ramsgate's central Anglican parish church, replacing St Mary's
Chapel-of-Ease in Chapel Place (closed in 1939 during the
wartime evacuation of Ramsgate). The ceremony was attended by the great
and the good of the day, with tickets being sold and the entire town's
accommodation filled by visitors. Church Hill was something of an off-street
backwater by 2010, when the church appeared to be closed.
Ramsgate Congregational Church is on the southern
side of Meeting Street. Founded in 1662, it is unknown what form the
first church building took, but the burial ground next door (on the
left here) confirms its existence. The burial ground closed in 1743
and Barrossa Cottage was built on the site. The present church building
was opened in 1838, but the members later merged with Hadres Road
Methodists. The old building is now a Centre of Excellence.
The Society of Friends, or Quakers, meet in
Ramsgate in a small, purpose-built chapel which is entered via the southern
side of Thomson's Passage, where it connects to Chapel Lane, off Elms Avenue
& Guildford Lawn. The chapel faces northwards into Chapel Lane itself.
One of the Society's most famous members was Elizabeth Fry, recorded as a
minister in 1811, who died in Ramsgate on 12 October 1845 and was buried at
the Friends burial ground in Barking.
The Salvation Army Citadel's main entrance, a
large-fronted and fairly impressive two-storey edifice, lies on the northern
side of 167 High Street, on the corner with Belmont Road, but this less-noticed
side entrance is on the eastern side of Belmont Road. The Army has been here
since before 1936, although their headquarters at the time were recorded as
being at 9 Oxford Street in Ramsgate. The exact date at which they were
established in the town is unknown.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses,
Ramsgate East & West, is on the northern side of the High Street,
at No 189. Like the Salvation Army, the Jehovah's Witnesses have been
in Ramsgate since at least 1936, but minor nonconformist groups in
Thanet are poorly attested, and this case is no different. The date
at which the meeting, and the impressively simple building, were
originally established is unclear, but one local remembers it going
up in the early 1990s.
Belmont Road Pentecostal Church is on the
western side of Belmont Road. In 1936 it was listed under 'Brethren -
South Eastern Hall, Belmont Hall'. By 2010 it looked to be well past
its best, with its brickwork, especially around the entrance, visibly
crumbling. Two small windows at the front were bricked up before 1984
and no signage exists to show the church is still in use, although small
metal plaques were positioned on the filled-in windows in 1984.