The site of the lost Treworga Bible Christian
Chapel can be found on a sharp bend when heading south out of the
village of Treworga. The church has very little mentioned about it -
not surprisingly given its isolated location - but is described in
Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue
(Truro, 1867-1873). It is also shown on some maps as Ebenezer
Chapel. Today the site of the former chapel is the empty corner
of a field.
St Rumon, Ruan Lanihorne, lies on the main
road in the village. Hitchens in History of Cornwall (1824)
thought that an early church was built on this site in AD 936. The
present church contains a small shield that claims 1321 as its date
of founding, although this was probably a consecration following a
rebuild. The chancel's east wall shows possible construction signs
of the earlier building. About 1658 the tower collapsed during a
storm, causing major damage.
Ruan Methodist Chapel is on Ruan High
Lanes. Methodists initially met in a building near Ruan's Coal
Yard, after which they moved to a meeting house close to Gonitor
Farm entrance. In 1870 the building shown here was brought into
use, at the crossroads close to Tregisswyn. Also known as
Tregiswin Chapel, it had the advantage that it was placed
equidistant between Ruan Lanihorne, Ruan High Lanes, and Treworga.
It closed in 2005 and is now a private residence.
Philleigh Wesleyan Church, otherwise
known as White Lanes Chapel, is found on the right during
the approach to Philleigh on White Lanes Road. The Philleigh
Wesleyan Society was formed by the joining of two older societies
at Treworlas and Lemon Chapel. The new Wesleyan chapel was here
at White Lane(s), on a site granted by Colonel Tremayne. The
foundation stone was laid on 12 January 1882. The chapel opened
on 22 February 1883, but closed and was sold in 1981.
Philleigh Manor House Old Chapel was
formerly part of Philleigh Manor, which lies on the left-hand
side of the main road into Philleigh, ahead of a left-hand curve
and the parish church (see below). It was home to the Petit
family when the chapel was approved in 1285. Carved stone medieval
fragments survive in the garden wall. There is reference to a
medieval chapel in the Philleigh area, perhaps at Tolcarne or
Treverras, but that was probably the manor chapel.
The parish church at Philleigh is St
Philleigh, in the middle of the village. There has been a church
here since the seventh century. The thirteenth century tower is the
only remnant of the Norman building, with the rest being a Victorian
restoration. The village's old name was Eglos Ros, meaning Heath
Church, before adopting the name of the parish saint, St Filius, who
probably came from Wales and is said to have been a companion of St