The latest web browsers are making it impossible to avoid
providing a fully secure website, but unfortunately that costs. The History Files
is a non-profit site and hosting fees are also an issue, so we need your help.
Please click anywhere inside this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that
we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully secure
site. If every visitor donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs
in a day! Your support is highly appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£75
Gallery: Churches of Cornwall
by Jo Lewis, 11 September 2018
Carrick Part 8: Churches of St Mawes &
St Mawes Old Chapel is at the north-western
corner of Chapel Terrace and Grove Hill. The chapel's precise use is
uncertain - it may have served as an early home for Independent
Calvanists, although by 1798 they certainly had a site of their own
elsewhere in the town (see below). The lower stone portions may also
have provided the core of the town's fifteenth century parish chapel
which was named for the Celtic St Mawes (Mauduit or Maudez).
Our Lady Star of the Sea & St Anthony
Catholic Church is on the western side of Grove Hill in St
Mawes, midway between the Sea View Crescent and Chapel Terrace
junctions. Mass was first celebrated here in 1938 after local
Catholics had raised money to buy, extend, and restore the existing
Bible Christian Chapel (built in 1875). By 1932 the Bible
Christians had reunited with the Methodists and their congregation
had moved to the Methodist Chapel (see below).
St Mawes (Wesleyan) Methodist Chapel is
on the northern side of Chapel Terrace, about forty metres east of
Gibraltar Terrace. The first Wesleyan chapel here opened in 1803.
The current Grade 2 listed Georgian chapel was built in 1816, with
a Sunday School in 1862. It became St Mawes Methodist Church
in 1932 when the Bible Christians joined it (see above). The chapel
was renovated by the owner of Tresanton Hotel and now functions as
a music venue.
St Mawes Church is located on the western
side of Church Road, midway between Lower Castle Road and Riviera
Lane. The ancient chapel of St Mawes (Mauduit or Maudez) existed as
early as 1427 (see above). Today's building was initially erected by
Earl Temple in 1812 (he was later the duke of Buckingham), although
it was not used until 1837. Then it became a chapel-of-ease to St Just
in Roseland, and was rebuilt in 1883-84 in local stone in the Early
St Mawes Independent Chapel is at the top
of a footpath leading up from Marine Parade, about twenty metres
east of Church Hill. This distinctive red bricked chapel served an
independent congregation, possibly Calvinists. A chapel here carried
out baptisms between 1798-1837, staring in a small wooden house but
replacing it with the current building in 1880. This was converted
around 1981 to form two homes, the red brick chapel house becoming
Chapel House East.
The former site of Trethewell Bible Christian
Chapel can be found by returning to St Just and taking the A3078
Mill Hill towards Trethewell itself. The chapel site is on the left-hand
side, forty metres south of the 'Moonfleet' private estate. The chapel's
existence is recorded for 1884. In 1907 it became Trethewell United
Methodist Church. Between 1929-1932 it merged with St Just's
Methodists and this site was sold 1936, to be replaced with this modern