St Mary's Church, Devizes, lies in the
middle of an oval formed by New Park Street, New Park Road,
and Commercial Road on two sides. It and the nearby St John's Church
have always been closely tied, with St John's usually regarded as
the senior of the two. The church is built of ashlar and has a
chancel, aisled and clerestoried nave, south porch, and west tower.
There was a Victorian claim of an earlier church lying north-east
across the chancel, but this is unproven.
The chancel was erected in the later twelfth
century while the north aisle's footings are thirteenth century.
Much of the surviving walling is probably from the fourteenth
century, but using ashlar blocks from two centuries previous,
perhaps as part of a rebuild. The appearance of the church was
radically altered in the fifteenth century. Walls were heightened
and embattled and a new west window was added, amongst other work.
The Victorians also made changes in 1855.
St Stephen's Church, Beechingstoke, lies
at the western end of a short lane that leads off Woodborough Road
in the village. Beechingstoke was also known simply as 'Stoke' until
the nineteenth century. Norman moulding discovered built into the walls
in 1861 suggests that the church was erected in the twelfth century.
Its existence is first recorded in 1291. The abbess of Shaftesbury
presented to the church in 1304, and continued to do so until the
The church was built of rubble and ashlar, with
a chancel and nave, and south porch. Little remains of the original
medieval church apart from the fourteenth century chancel arch and
part of the surrounding wall. The plan of the nave is possibly from
the same period while the old chancel arch may have been wider than
today. The chancel was rebuilt in 1791 while the east window was
copied from an original in Westminster Abbey. The whole church was
restored in 1861.
St Mary Magdalene, Woodborough, lies at
the far end of Church Road, which leads northwards from the main road
through the village. The parish lies mainly in the Vale of Pewsey.
Its church was built of ashlar, with a chancel with north vestry and
nave with north aisle and south porch. Built in the twelfth century,
it first had just a nave and chancel. A new west window was added
in the thirteenth century, and new north and south windows in the
nave in the fourteenth.
The old bell house on the nave roof (since removed)
was perhaps added in the 1300s, while the porch was built in the 1700s.
In 1850 the chancel was rebuilt in the Early English style, with
matching new nave and aisle built in 1861. The vestry, a west gable
bellcot to replace the bell house, and a new south porch were also added.
There were two bells in 1553 which were replaced by a bell cast in
London in 1849. Woodborough Methodist Church was closed in 1970.