Henley-in-Arden Baptist Church is on the
western side of the High Street, just south of Becks Croft passage.
Baptists established themselves here as early as 1688, and in 1736 a
licensed meeting house was established. By 1821 the congregation
numbered 52 and in 1867-1869 the present chapel was built on the site
of the original meeting house. The building was burnt out in February
1936, but was repaired and reopened for services in September 1937.
St Mary Old Church, Ullenhall, is near Chapel
Gate Farm, to the east of Ullenhall. It seems that the medieval village
of Ullenhall was much closer to the 'Old Chapel'. Aerial photographs
seem to back this theory, noting changes in soil colours where roads and
buildings once stood. Siting a chapel on a hill such as this was of
common practice, as it was clearly visible for miles around. Today
it stands alone with its old cottages for company.
The original church was built around the twelfth
century. The walls were decoratively coloured, and the mouldings and
carvings suggest it was a beautiful building. In 1875 the Newton family
of Barrells built the new church of St Mary on a site nearer to the
present village. The nave of the old church' was considered to be in a
dangerous condition and it was thought necessary to take it down. Only
the chancel was repaired so that it could serve as a mortuary chapel.
All photos on this page contributed by Aidan