St Mary the Virgin, Kinwarton, lies amongst fields
off the top of Captain's Hill and down a narrow side road leading first south
and then east, next to the Old Rectory of 1788. The original village was a
little under two kilometres north-east of Alcester, in the valley of the River
Alne. A total rebuild of the church was completed in 1291 and consecrated in
July 1316, but some of the walling, especially at the east angles, appears to
be of much earlier origin, possibly Saxon.
The framing for the bell turret is partly
sixteenth century or soon afterwards. The church was again
extensively rebuilt in 1850 by Reverend Richard Seymour. Most of the
present windows were Victorian replacements but the oak framed
window by the pulpit, and the quatrefoil chancel window showing the
Virgin Mary and Child, are dated to 1336. The furniture and screen
are Victorian, while the single bell was cast in 1716 at Bromsgrove.
The church is now Grade II listed.
St Mary Magdalene & All Saints, Haselor,
is surrounded by fields, with footpaths leading to Walcote
immediately north-east and Haselor to the west. Also known as 'St
Mary & Church All Saints' in one source, its parish is an
amalgamation of two Saxon manors, Upton and Haselor, but following
the Dissolution, the Crown gained authority for the parish and
neglected it, with few regular vicars being appointed until the
The church was apparently built in the twelfth
century, with a west tower. A south aisle with an arcade of three
bays was added later in the century. Early in the thirteenth century
the chancel was rebuilt, with a north chapel and an arcade of two
bays. The north chapel aisle was subsequently destroyed and the
arcade was walled up, perhaps in the eighteenth century. The tower's
bell chamber was added in 1622. The church underwent restoration in
1883 and again in 1892.
St Mary Magdalen, Great Alne, is to the
north of Haselor. The church sits on northern side of Henley Road at
the end of a long footpath. Great Alne takes its name from the River
Alne but in the medieval period it was known as Ruwenalne or Round
Alne, 'rough' Alne. The manor dates from 809, and belonged to
Winchcombe Abbey until the Dissolution. Afterwards, the church was a
chapel of ease for the parish of Kinwarton, a situation which
remains to this day.
The church dates at least to the thirteenth
century, shown by a surviving lancet window in the chancel. The nave
was widened southwards some time after that date. The Victorians
undertook a good deal of restoration work, with additions which
included a new aisle with an arcade of two bays, the western part of
the nave, and the porch-turret, all of which were probably completed
in 1837. Very few original features remained, although the single
bell of 1670 still rings.
Five photos on this page contributed by Aidan
McRae Thomson, and one licensed for re-use under
a Creative Commons Licence by Colin Craig at Geograph British Isles.