History Files


Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of Warwickshire

by Peter Kessler, 18 April 2010



South Warwickshire Part 16: Churches of Bidford-on-Avon to Dorsington

St Matthew, Broom

St Matthew, Broom, Salford Priors, is on the southern side of Station Road at the junction with School Road, south-east of Salford Priors itself. There was a priest at Salford in 1086, but this church was built in the middle of the twelfth century and consists of a chancel with a modern south vestry and organ-chamber, nave, and a west tower which was lower than it is today. There was also a south aisle, built in the same century, with an arcade of three or four bays.

St Matthew, Broom

The nave was lengthened farther, to the east, in the thirteenth century, maybe absorbing the original chancel, and a new chancel was built east of it. About 1340 the south aisle was widened and lengthened to cover the south side of the tower. The south wall was provided with a projecting stair-turret, but this now leads only to the roof of the aisle (with access to the upper part of the tower from there). The tower was raised further in 1633 for five bells (now eight).

All photos on this page contributed by Aidan McRae Thomson.

In Depth
In Depth


Images and text copyright all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.