St John the Baptist, Cherington, lies on
the eastern side of a northbound lane out of the eastern side of the
village. The parish church consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle,
south porch, and west tower. The oldest parts, the nave and chancel,
were erected in the early thirteenth century, but the latter was
probably rebuilt entirely, widened and lengthened, late in the century.
By then, in 1279, Ralph de Wylinton was returned as patron of the church
The advowson continued to descend with the manor
until at least 1658. During this time, the north aisle with its arcade
and the lower half of the tower were also additions of the late thirteenth
century. The south porch is from the early fourteenth century, while the
clearstory and roof of the nave and the upper half of the tower are
fifteenth century additions. Restoration work was carried out during
the sixteenth century, and in 1877, 1909, and 1917.
All photos on this page contributed by Aidan