The latest web browsers are making it impossible to avoid
providing a fully secure website, but unfortunately that costs. The History Files
is a non-profit site and hosting fees are also an issue, so we need your help.
Please click anywhere inside this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that
we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully secure
site. If every visitor donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs
in a day! Your support is highly appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£75
Gallery: Churches of Warwickshire
by Peter Kessler, 18 April 2010
South Warwickshire Part 43: Churches of Chadshunt & Kineton
All Saints, Chadshunt, sits on the western side
of Watery Lane, on the north-eastern edge of this scattering of
houses and farm buildings in the midst of a huge expanse of
fieldland. The church consists of a chancel, nave, north transept,
and a west tower. The oldest part of it, the nave, dates to the
mid-twelfth century and even now retains its north and south
doorways which were located centrally in the original nave.
At this time, the advowsons of the churches of
Chadshunt and Bishop's Itchington were attached as prebendal benefices
to the precentorship of Lichfield Cathedral. Towards the end of the
thirteenth century Chadshunt became a chapelry of Bishop's Itchington.
The nave seems to have been extended about three metres (ten feet) westwards
in the fourteenth century. The clerestory of the nave and a new roof
were added in the fifteenth century.
The west tower was a seventeenth century addition or
rebuild, and the chancel and north transept were built about 1730.
An inscription plate records repairs carried out in 1866, when new roofs were
placed over the nave and tower, but as the original timbers still survive,
this must refer only to the lead covering and perhaps the rafters. Further
restoration work was undertaken in 1906, but the church, which is surrounded
by trees, is no longer used for regular services.
St Peter, Kineton, is on the north-western corner
of Warwick Road where this meets Southam Street. The church consists of a
chancel with a north organ chamber and vestry, nave with north and south
transepts and a north aisle, plus a west tower, all constructed in dark brown
Hornton stone. The church was granted to Kenilworth Priory by Henry I. After
the Dissolution the advowson was retained by the Crown until about 1624, when
it was gained by Edward Bentley.
From 1650 the rectory and advowson descended with the
Bentley manor of Little Kineton, arriving with the bishop of Coventry today.
The church's west tower is said to date from 1315, but its west doorway is
probably earlier and its windows later. The tower itself was put up in four
stages. The church was partly rebuilt by Sanderson Miller of Radway in 1775,
when the transepts and aisle were added. It was again extensively renovated
The organ chamber and vestry were added in 1897. The chancel
screen is of Italian Renaissance design and was set up in 1905 in memory of the
18th Lord Willoughby de Broke, who died on 19 December 1902. The tower contains
a ring of six bells, all dating between 1703-1717 and all by Abel Rudhall. The
font and pulpit are modern, while the communion table dates to the mid to late
seventeenth century. A framed painted Royal Arms in the aisle is dated 1724.
All photos on this page contributed by Aidan