Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel lies on the
south-western corner of the High Street and Wise Street. This was the second
major chapel south of the river, both of them situated along the High Street.
The site was originally intended for one of many of the Reverend Craig's
enterprises in Leamington Spa. His idea was to build a 'Poor Man's Church'
and the foundation stone was laid in September 1849. However, no work was
carried out on the empty site.
By 1855, the empty site was sold to the Primitive
Methodists. Their records show that on 13 March 1850 the 'Leamington
friends be allowed to build a chapel'. On 10 January 1851 they purchased
the furniture from the former Union Chapel, but their records do not show
how the new chapel was built on this site. It opened in 1852 and continued
in use until the Primitive Methodists moved into the empty Warwick Street
Chapel (No 120). The old chapel is now a tool hire shop.
Spencer Street Congregational Chapel still
stands on the northern side of Spencer Street, almost opposite Lower Avenue.
It was the successor to the Union Chapel on Clemens Street, built
close to the spa bathhouses in 1836, and was later shared with
several denominations. In 1992, its United Reformed congregation
merged with Trinity Methodist Church, leaving this building, which
looks virtually unchanged today, for secular use, firstly as a carpet
The Catholic Church of St Peter the Apostle
is on the north-western corner of Dormer Place and Bedford Street.
The congregation moved here from George Street (Leamington Spa
Mission) in 1864, when this new church was completed to a design by
H Clutton. It was burnt down in 1883, except for the tower which had
been built in 1878. The church was rebuilt in red brick with stone
dressings in 1884, but the tower suffered structural problems
and had to be shortened.
Dale Street Methodist Church fills the
north-western corner of Dale Street and Portland Place West. In 1817
the Wesleyan Methodists established a place of worship in a loft in
Barnacle's Yard, Satchwell Street, and then a small building in Brunswick
Street. They built the Portland Street Chapel in 1825 and replaced
it with an elaborate edifice in 1870. This was replaced by the present Dale
Street Church in the 1970s when the old building proved too expensive to
St Alban's Church formerly stood on the south-eastern
corner of Warwick Street and Portland Street. It owed its origins to one of the
Reverend Craig’s several doomed schemes to build a chapel of ease for the poor.
The iron chapel was officially called the The New Opposition Church, and was
moved to this site in 1864. Rebuilt in brick as St Michael's & All Angels,
by 1881 it had been sold and renamed St Alban's. It finally closed in 1964 and
was demolished in 1968.
The Mission Church of the Good Shepherd now
lies under the Priors Shopping Mall on the southern side of Warwick
Street alongside the lost Satchwell Street. Built in wood and iron the
1880s by the new vicar of All Saints, it was replaced in 1889 by the more
substantial structure pictured. The church and mission hall was intended
to cater for the poor of the district, but services faltered around 1914,
and the building was closed in 1924, and demolished in 1938/9.
All photos on this page kindly released for
republication by Bath Place.