Église de Saint-Pierre (the Church of St
Peter) is in the village of Mouhet, part of the Le Blanc
arrondissemont of Indre. The village is first cited in historical
documents in 1170, when it is named as Mohetum, at which time the
parish was dependent upon Saint-Benoît-du-Sault. The church contains
a fifteenth century stately chapel, and there are two turrets at the
base of the choir which are sealed, and what they may contain is
unknown, fuelling local legends.
The church dates from the thirteenth and
fourteenth centuries. It houses the black marble tombstone of the
lord of Rhodes. In 1300 the local manor belonged to Rhodes, in the
form of Guy Sery, who was probably a member of the Knights
Hospitallers who had recently conquered the island from the
Byzantine empire. Succeeded by the family of Pot, they maintained
their own burial plot here until the early eighteenth century, and
the church served as their chapel.