History Files


Modern Germany

Gallery: Churches of Berlin

by Peter Kessler, 15 May 2011



Berlin Part 1: Churches of Tiergarten-Süd & Charlottenburg

Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church

Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church (Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche in German) stands on the Kurfürstendamm, next to the Zoologischer Garten at Tiergarten-Süd in Berlin. The neo-Romanesque church was built between 1891-1895. It was severely damaged during a bombing raid in 1943, with only the tower being retained afterwards to serve as a memorial hall to those killed in the war. The concrete block to the right is the new church, built between 1959 and 1963.

Evangelical Green Triangle Parish

The Evangelical Green Triangle Parish on Charlottenburg Heerstraße (Evangelist Pfarramt Grünes Dreieck an der Heerstraße Charlottenburg) is on the heavily wooded north-east corner of Glockenturmstrasse and Angerburger Allee, in the Pichelsberg district of Charlottenburg in western Berlin. No information is available on the church, while the red-brick building is more reminiscent of 1970s apartment building construction. A wooden cross adorns the side of the building.

In Depth
In Depth


Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.