The latest web browsers are making it impossible to avoid
providing a fully secure website, but unfortunately that costs. The History Files
is a non-profit site and hosting fees are also an issue, so we need your help.
Please click anywhere inside this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that
we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully secure
site. If every visitor donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs
in a day! Your support is highly appreciated.
Christ the King Church (Christus Koningkerk in Dutch) is on the corner of Hengstdalseweg and Dommer van
Poldersveldtweg, in the Hengstdal district on the eastern side of
Nijmegen. Construction on the Expressionist Catholic church began in
1932 to cater for this rapidly expanding suburb, and was carried out
in a typically modern way, using reinforced concrete clad with brick
on the outside. The design was by J Zwanikken, and the church was
consecrated in 1933.
With the number of parishioners rapidly falling,
the church was demolished in 1993, except for the tower. The farewell
ceremony was held on 1 November. The organ went to St Petrus Canisius
Church. The marble baptismal font and some terracotta statues by Jac
Maris went to St Stephen's Church. The entrance through the tower now
accesses apartments, with shops on either side. The parish was merged
with St Stephen's Church, which was also closed in 2009.
St Stephen's Church (St Stephanus Kerk) is
located at Berg en Dalseweg 203, to the north-east of Christ the
King, whose parish it absorbed in 1993. This dome church was built
in the Expressionist style in 1922-1923. Although its architect, Petrus
J H Cuypers, had formed a partnership with his father, Jos Cuypers,
in 1920, occasionally he designed a church on his own. St Stephen's
is one such example; a three-aisled cruciform church with a large
At the front of the church is a facade flanked
by two square towers. The side-aisles are narrow and have flat roofs.
The central aisle is wider and higher and has a clerestorey. At the
back is a short choir with a semi-circular apse covered by a half
dome. Both the general style and details of the church show
similarities with several of Cuypers' churches built in conjunction
with his father, especially Our Lady of Perpetual Help (OLV Altijddurende
Bijstand) in Bussum, built in 1921.
The former Ubbergen Chapel is now known as
the Ubbergen Chapel Foundation (Stichting 't Ubbergs Kerkje). It is
situated on the very eastern edge of Nijmegen, in the narrow street
of Rijksstraatweg, just south of the heavily wooded town of Ubbergen.
The chapel was originally founded in the fourteenth century, and has
changed little since then, even down to its whitewashed walls. Today
it forms the venue for various concerts, art expositions, and
The former Ubbergen Monastery lies just a
little way south, still on Rijksstraatweg, and it looms up only
briefly out of a mass of trees. Originally just a villa built by the
wealthy family of More in 1880, it was enlarged into a neo-Renaissance
castle between 1903 and 1926, and consisted of the villa, the west
wing, north wing, chapel, aisles and the nurses. For a
while the building served as a convent, with girls' boarding school,
but now its use is entirely secular.