The Catholic Church of Christ the Redeemer of
Man (Redemptor Hominis, in Latin, or Kosciół Chrystusa Odkupiciela
Człowieka in Polish), Olsztyn, is on the south-east corner of Kardynala
Stefana Wyszyńskiego (Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski) and Żołnierska
streets in the south-east of the town on Route 16. The parish was created in
August 1980. The foundation for the church was laid on 1 February 1981 and the
building was consecrated on 17 September 2000.
The Catholic Basilica of the Nativity of the Blessed
Virgin Mary (Bazylika Narodzenia Najświętszej Maryi Panny),
Gietrzwałd, is on the north side of Route 16 in the centre of the
village, about ten kilometres west of Olsztyn. Also known as the Sanctuary
in Gietrzwałd, the first church here was built soon after the village
was founded. Prior to 1500 it was expanded or rebuilt in brick and stone.
Rebuilt many times later, in 1970 Pope Paul VI gave it the title of Minor Basilica.
The Catholic Church of Kisielice is on the western
side of Mickiewicsa street in Kisielice, which runs parallel to Dolna street
on Route 16 on the eastern side of the town. The Gothic church was built on a
hilltop by a priest named Nicolaus on the foundations of field stone and using
red brick. Next to the church was built a high wooden bell tower which also served
as an observation tower. In 1653 the bell tower was struck by lightning. The present
steeple was built in 1857.
The Catholic Church of Marcinkowo is on the northern side
of Route 16, probably on the eastern side of the village of Marcinkowo, close to the
edges of the town of Mragowo. The church seems to be typical of the style of
ecclesiastical building in twenty-first century Poland - usually very tall,
well-illuminated buildings which probably come with the apparently compulsory need
to be multi-purpose. Unfortunately the dedication of this one (if any) cannot be
The Catholic Church of Probark is on the northern side
of Route 16 through the village, a little east of Nowy Probark, midway between
Olsztyn and Baranowo. It is a modern-looking church building situated in what
appears to be a churchyard with twin door entrance and bell cote. A large wooden
cross sits at the boundary with the road, making the church clearly visible despite
the heavy tree cover here. The church's dedication (if any) is unknown, and its
affiliation is uncertain.
The Catholic Church of Baranowo is on the southern
side of Route 16 as the road hooks sharply from the north-west to the south-west
and then due west, as it passes through Baranowo. The village existed by 1555
and may have been founded by settlers from Mazovia, to the north. The church was
built for a Protestant (German) congregation between 1904-1907. It was taken over
in 1979 by Catholics. The parish was created on 2 February 1984 by the bishop of
The Lutheran Church of St Nicholas, Mikolajki, is
on the northern side of the main road to Mragowska, with the river on its
immediate western side. The name of this former village, a town since 1726,
derives from Saint Nicholas, protector of sailors and patron of a chapel
standing on the windmill hill. The name appears for the first time in documents
from 1444, when land near Mikolajki was granted by the Teutonic Grand Master to
a nobleman called Wawrzyniec Prus.
The Church of Orzysz lies close to the main Route 16
through the city of Orzysz, which is situated midway between Mikolajki and Ełk.
This otherwise unidentifiable modern church building was built possibly for an
Evangelical congregation, but more likely as a Catholic church in this strongly
faithful country - the twin spires seem to be a feature of this style of
construction. The church's generous dimensions are similar to new churches in
Marcinkowo (see above) and Suwałki.
The Catholic Church of Ruska Wieś is on the
southern side of the main Route 16 road between Ruska Wieś and Klusy.
Ruska Wieś itself is midway between Orzysz and Ełk. The church's
history cannot be uncovered, so its date of construction and consecration
cannot be confirmed, but the style points to a probable date in the seventeenth
or eighteenth centuries, with a west tower. The church's location cannot be
exactly specified thanks to a lack of map data.