History Files


Modern Estonia

Photobox: Castles of Estonia

by Peter Kessler, 29 December 2012

Kuressaare Episcopal Castle is also known as Kuressaare Stronghold, the Bishop's Palace, and perhaps less commonly by its old German name of Schloβ Arensburg. It dates to the early thirteenth century and is sited on the south-western edge of the town of Kuressaare in Saaremaa, with Lääne Meri (Western Sea) behind it. The town that grew up around the Bishop's Castle was granted the status of an independent city in 1563. Full restoration work was carried out in 1968-1985, and the castle now houses the Saaremaa Museum of History and Nature.

All photos on this page copyright © P L Kessler.




Main Sources

Helme, Mart (Compiler) - Guide to Castles in Estonia, Kunst, Estonia, 2003

Praust, Valdo - Most Beautiful Manors and Castles, Grenader Grupp, Estonia, 2004

Online Sources

Estonian Manors



Images and text copyright © P L Kessler except where stated. An original feature for the History Files.