The town of Ware is situated in
Hertfordshire, close to Hertford. On the corner of Church Street and
the High Street, St Mary's Church is a spacious cruciform building
with a battlement bell tower which is surmounted by a spire.
There is evidence that a church has existed here
since before 1086. Domesday Book mentions that a 'priest' lived in
the town, but most of the modern church was built in the fourteenth
or fifteenth century in the perpendicular style.