Grove Road Evangelical Church is on the
south-east corner of Grove Road and Godfreys Mews in Chelmsford. It
is a member of the Union of Evangelical Churches (UEC), a group of
churches based in Essex and East London, which was started by James
Banyard in 1837 in Rochford (otherwise known as the Peculiar People).
On 27 April 1956 Supplemental Deed Poll Number 2 was signed, changing
the name of 'The Peculiar People' to the 'Union of Evangelical Churches'.
Elim Christian Centre is a modern building
which occupies the northern side of Hall Street, almost opposite Upper
Roman Road. This is the second Elim building to have existed in Chelmsford,
the first being just around the corner on Mildmay Road (see below). The
membership grew to a point where a new building had to be sought, so the
present site closer to the town centre was selected. By 2010 the church's
members were already starting to outgrow it.
Hall Street (Primitive) Methodist Church
occupies the south-east corner of Hall Street and Upper Roman Road.
The Chelmsford Primitive Methodist Circuit became the Chelmsford and
Braintree Primitive Methodist Circuit following union with the Braintree
Primitive Methodist Circuit in 1926. This then became the Chelmsford and
Braintree ex-Primitive Methodist Circuit in 1932-1937. The premises are
also used by Chelmsford Presbyterian Church, which started in 1992.
The Seventh-Day Adventist Church is on the
eastern side of Upper Roman Road, almost opposite Orchard Street. The
building is little more than a converted Victorian brown-brick dwelling
in which the members observe Saturday, the original seventh day of the
Judeo-Christian week, as the Sabbath. The denomination grew out of the
Millerite movement in the United States during the middle part of the
nineteenth century and was formally established in 1863.
Hall Street Brethren Meeting Room occupies
a narrow site on the south-west corner of Hall Street and Mildmay Road.
The Plymouth Brethren who meet here were named after the English seaside
town of Plymouth, where a sizable number of Christians gathered during the
early years of the movement. It was also the the town from which the
Pilgrims, about two hundred years earlier, had embarked for America, naming
their first settlement in Massachusetts after it.
Elim Church stands on the western side of
Mildmay Road, with the entrance to Gladstone Court on its southern side.
As the result of a visit to the Chelmsford Corn Exchange by Reverend Stephen
Jeffreys in 1927, Elim Church was born, meeting at the Co-Op Hall in Barrack
Square. This was quickly replaced by the Mildmay Road building, but by the
end of the twentieth century, the church had moved again (see above). The old
building is now the Mencap Hall.
Baddow Road Congregational Church formerly
stood on the road of the same name, approximately where the roundabout
is today. The church was in existence by the early eighteenth century, and
records date to 1759, at which time it was known as The Old Meeting
House, Baddow Lane. By 1899 it was the Congregational Chapel, Baddow Road,
and in 1911 'chapel' was replaced with 'church. In 1970 the church
was closed and the members joined Christ Church.
The Salvation Army citadel is on Baddow Road, on
the eastern side of High Bridge Road. The Army began work here in October
1886, with five bandmasters between then and 1905, in the persons of H Smith,
Willie Orrin, Sol Jackson, E Brown and George Orrin. During the subsequent
seventy-five years there were only three, and in March 1974 the band headed
a march of all the corps sections from the old citadel in Moulsham Street to
the present modernistic suite of buildings.
The Church of the Holy Trinity Springfield is on
the northern side of Trinity Road, with a large churchyard on its eastern
side. It was built in 1892-1893, to a design by architect J Adie Repton.
It initially served as a chapel of ease for the growing community around
the canal docks at Warf Road and Navigation Road, being subordinated to
All Saints Church, Springfield. The first stone was laid on 24 May 1892
and the completed building was consecrated on 20 July 1893.
The church was built in gault brick in the Norman style,
unusual for Victorian churches in the Eastern Counties, and gained its own
parish in 1933. In 1958 new altar rails and gates were installed in memory
of W E Belcher and F W Tunstill, churchwardens. The church was given a Grade II
listed status on 14 December 1978. On the inside the building has been completely
renovated to provide a multi-purpose site which seems de rigueur in the