You have been wonderful! The target for 2019 has been reached in less than a month.
Thank you for supporting the History Files website, for making it possible for more highly detailed historical
information to be researched and written for you, and for making it possible to switch to a secure format later
this year. Your help and support is very much appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£75
Gallery: Churches of North London
by Peter Kessler, 24 April 2011. Updated 4 February
East Finchley Methodist Church stands at
the south-west corner of East Finchley High Road and Park Gate. The
church originated in a Wesleyan congregation established by 1817 and
probably by 1810. John Freeman held prayer meetings in Lincoln Lodge,
a cottage in the High Road at the corner of Strawberry Vale, in 1820.
A small chapel, attended mostly by labourers, opened in 1829 in King's
Corner or Street. This was replaced in 1868 by a larger building.
The new building also proved to be too small, so
the present Gothic-style red-brick church was erected in 1897 on a
brand new site. In 1940 the roof, windows and organ suffered damage
from a blast. Nearby, Elim Hall in Christchurch Avenue (now apparently
lost), perhaps formerly used by the Christian Spiritualists, was
registered by Elim Foursquare Gospel Alliance in 1938-1954. Then
they moved to the King Street chapel until 1974, when they began sharing
East Finchley URC.
The Salvation Army hall is on the northern
side of Hertford Road, close to the junction with the High Road. The
hall was built as a Baptist chapel in 1889, but the Baptists rapidly
outgrew it, so in 1902 they moved to a new church building on the
newly-laid Creighton Avenue (see below). The old chapel was sold to the
Salvationists following the destruction of their own building, which
lay opposite, during the war. This closed about 2001 and the building
now houses a nursery.
East Finchley Baptist Church stands on the
northern side of Creighton Avenue, close to the High Road. The church
was founded in 1877 in Long Lane as a New Connexion Church by
J Batey. A Baptist church was erected on Hertford Road (see above) before
the congregation moved to this site in 1902, constructing this striking
Gothic building of flint with stone dressings on the newly laid-out road.
The original building eventually proved to be too large for the congregation.
The present red-brick church, more modest, but still
attractive and ornate, was built next door to the original building in
the 1930s (or 1950, sources differ). The 1902 building became a church
hall until dwindling use saw it sold off around 1990 to be converted
into apartments during a property boom. The Gothic frontage remained
while the more ordinary rear was reconstructed into flats. The money
raised allowed extra buildings to be added to the church building.
St Mary's Catholic Church stands on the western
side of the High Road, opposite and a little north of Chandos Road. The
former Congregational chapel was used at first, opening in 1898. It was
destroyed in 1940 and services were held from 1941 at No 279 High Road,
where the present church was built in 1953. One of the earliest European
churches to contain pre-cast concrete, it is a simple brick building with
stone dressings, next to a hall built in 1959.
St Pancras Cemetery Chapel lies towards the
back of Islington & St Pancras Cemetery, on the eastern side of the
High Road. Also known as The Episcopal Chapel, the Gothic building
is made of Kentish Rag and Bath stone. This section of the cemetery is
owned by Camden (formerly St Pancras), and was established in 1854 as the
first municipally-owned cemetery in London when the St Pancras Burial Board
bought 88 acres of the former Horseshoe Farm on Finchley Common.
Islington Cemetery Chapel lies closest to the
High Road, although its date of construction is not known, the 1890s seems
possible. The cemetery was more than doubled in size in 1877, and the total
area was divided between Islington and Camden. A bank and ditch along the
eastern edge marks the parish boundary between Finchley and Hornsey. To the
south the cemetery is bordered by the ancient woodland of Coldfall Wood, to
the north the North Circular Road.