You have been wonderful! The target for 2019 has been reached in less than a month.
Thank you for supporting the History Files website, for making it possible for more highly detailed historical
information to be researched and written for you, and for making it possible to switch to a secure format later
this year. Your help and support is very much appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£75
Gallery: Churches of East Yorkshire
by Peter Kessler, 6 February 2011
City of Kingston upon Hull Part 6: Churches of
St Martin's Church stands at the south-east
corner of Anlaby Road and North Road in Hull. A temporary building was
opened on the site in 1928. A district made up of portions from three
other parishes was assigned to it in 1938, and the present building was
consecrated in 1939, designed by R B Craze. It has a nave with narrow
passage aisles, a chancel, and a bell turret at the west end. It contains
a thirteenth century font from the ruined church of Nunkeeling.
Corpus Christi Catholic Church stands on the
south-west corner of Spring Bank West and Church Way. During the later
nineteenth century three new Catholic churches were built in the city
following the success of St Charles Borromeo. A further ten were added
in the twentieth century, spread all over the city, and one of these was
Corpus Christi. The church was built for the Spring Bank West area of the
city in 1932, to a design by the architect F Spink of Bridlington.
Derringham Bank Methodist Church stands inside
the junction formed by Willerby Road and Spring Bank West. A Methodist
school which also served as a chapel was registered on the site in 1933.
It contained seating space for four hundred members of the congregation
and was designed by Gelder and Kitchen. A separate chapel, the present
one, was built in 1958, which contained four hundred and fifty sittings.
This version was designed by B W Blanchard.
The Church of St Thomas occupies a plot on
the south-east corner of Hotham Road South and Louis Drive. A temporary
church in Anlaby was dedicated in 1941, assuming the title of St Thomas.
It was the successor to St Thomas Campbell Street, Hull, which opened as
a temporary church in 1873, with a permanent church following in 1882.
This church was demolished following the Second World War and the present
church was dedicated in 1957 as its replacement.
Priory Baptist Church stands on the western
side of Hotham Road South, opposite Coventry Road, in the west of Hull.
Cottingham Road Baptist Church aided in founding a Sunday school nearby
on 1 June 1947. In 1956 a prefabricated building was erected on a site
in Coronation Road, and it became independent in 1965. Forced from the
site after the lease ran out, the present church was opened on 1 May 1976.
Flood damage in 2007 was quickly repaired.
The Parish Church of the Ascension occupies a
site set well back from the eastern side of Calvert Road, about sixty
metres (yards) south of County Road South. A district was assigned to a
temporary church in 1935, and this became the new parish in 1959, the
year following the church's consecration. The temporary building, designed
by Wellsted, Dosser, and Wellsted, was originally intended as a parish hall,
but a chancel was added by F F Johnson in 1957-1958.
St Ninian's & St Andrew's United Reformed
Church is on the eastern side of Chanterlands Avenue, immediately
south of the railway bridge. Presbyterians opened St Ninian's Church
along with a school hall in 1931 to replace Spring Bank Presbyterian
Church (opened in 1875 to replace Dagger Lane Chapel, it was
closed 1931, a warehouse in 1955, and was finally demolished in 1966).
The new church was designed by J F Parkinson with Gothic features.
Perth Street (Primitive) Methodist Church occupies
the north-east corner of Chanterlands Avenue and Perth Street. The church was
opened as West Street Memorial Church in 1908, a temporary building to
replace Mill Street Chapel (later West Street Chapel), which
closed in 1912 and was used as a dance hall before being destroyed by bombing
in 1941. A new church was built on Perth Street in 1931, but it closed shortly
before 2011 and its future is now uncertain.
St Cuthbert's Church sits on the northern side of
Malborough Avenue, opposite Hardwick Street. The church was founded as a
district church in the parish of St Augustine in 1906, when an iron building
was erected. It was destroyed during the Second World War and was later
replaced by the present brick building, designed by Douglas Potter of the
firm of Gelder and Kitchen. It was dedicated in 1956, built partly by funds
gained through the wartime loss of St Bartholomew's Church.
Kingston Evangelical Church is on the northern
side of Park Grove, midway between Princes Avenue and The Parade. The
church seems to have little data regarding its founding, but the building
probably dates to 1910-1939. The present congregation seems to have Baptists
leanings, to judge from the mention of the Baptist Confession of Faith (1689)
on their website. The church is one of a handful which is recommended by the
Hull University Christian Union.
All photos on this page contributed by Colin