St Thomas' Church, Brompton, lies on the eastern
side of the semi-circle formed by Church View in the northern half of the
village, A wooden cross, replaced by a stone cross which was rediscovered
in 1867, stood here during the Saxon period, with the first church being
built by the eleventh century. In 1386-1843 the church was a chapel of ease
to All Saints Northallerton. The building underwent a major restoration in
1867 and this is largely what is seen today.
Brompton (Wesleyan) Chapel stands on the eastern
side of The Green, midway along, in Brompton. Roger Langdale led the
first meeting here in 1784 in a weaver's cottage. The first chapel
was built in 1794 and the present larger building replaced it on the
same site in 1813. This and the Primitive Methodist Chapel merged in
1970, moving to a Methodist Church premises (see below). The old
chapel was converted into business premises named Chapel House.
Brompton Methodist Church is at the southern
end of The Green, facing northwards. The building was a conversion
of the former Wesleyan Sunday School, designed to replace both the
Wesleyan Methodist chapel and the Primitive one. The work was completed
in 1970. Nearby, in 1820, Brompton Primitive Methodist Chapel was
built on Cockpit Hill. It merged with the Methodist church in 1970.
There was also a Brompton Baptist Chapel, opened in 1850.
All Saints Deighton stands on
the eastern side of Deighton Lane, immediately south of the western
turning. The church is mostly modern, built in stone, perhaps in
1715, to judge by an inscription above the exterior of the porch. It
consists of a long chancel, a nave, north vestry, south porch, and
west bell cote with two bells. In the north wall of the chancel is an
old two-light square-mullioned window of the domestic type. A sundial
bears the date 1722.
St Leonard's Church, Welbury, is on the
eastern side of Tofts Lane, about fifty metres (yards) north of
Shire Garth, towards the southern end of the village. It probably
dates to the twelfth century but the chancel was entirely rebuilt by
the Victorians and the nave was modernised so that there is little
original detail other than a piece of carved stone now preserved in
the north wall. The church consists of chancel, small north organ
chamber, vestry, nave, and south porch.
The Church of St Lawrence, East Rounton,
stands on the western side of the lane that runs north through the
hamlet, at the northern end. It probably dates to the thirteenth century,
and may have been partly built by lay workers from Mount Grace
Carthusian Priory. In 1884, it was completely restored by Sir Lowthian
Bell, an artistically aware patron who employed some of the leading figures
of the Arts and Crafts movement. Much of the original masonry was re-used.
All photos on this page contributed by Colin Hinson.