Our Lady of Pity & St Martin Catholic Church
stood on the western side of Snargate Street, about seventy-five metres
(yards) from the Grand Shaft. Also known as Our Lady of Dover, the
church was built in 1905-1906, and was dedicated on 29 March 1906. It
closed in 1940 and the building remained empty before being sold in 1960.
It is now occupied by Smye Rumsby, but the former church has been knocked
through to the building on the right to double its size.
Pentside Baptist Mission opened somewhere
around this point on Snargate Street. Shortly after Dover General Baptist
Church was opened on Adrian Street, a gift was given to start a Particular
Baptist Church, and a former chemist shop in Snargate Street was rented
and fitted out for public worship. Founded in 1823, it overlooked the old
quayside, close to the swingbridge. It was still there in 1900 but was later
demolished and its members moved to Queen Street Chapel.
Snargate Street Wesleyan Chapel stood here, on
the western side of Snargate Street, immediately next to the Grand Shaft.
Methodists began worshipping at The Pier in Elizabeth Square (now
gone), before moving to this larger site. The chapel's foundation stone
was laid on 3 June 1834 and four months later the building was completed.
The ornate entrance was rebuilt following the building of the new A20 road,
but the chapel was closed in 1962 and later demolished.
Holy Trinity Church stood on the north-western side
of Strond Street. Present by 1900, its date of construction is uncertain. Any
trace of Strond Street was swept away by the building of Limekiln Street, but
it existed just a few metres (yards) south of that, overlooking the Harbour
Station (closed 1960s). The station-master's house is between the church and
the railway bridge on the left. There also existed a Strong Lane Primitive
Methodist Chapel in 1858, now lost.
St John Mariner Church stood on the south-east corner
of Blenheim Square, facing Middle Row, which led to Seven Star Street, all of
which is now lost under Dover Western Docks. It was built by a Mr Iggulden for
Wesleyan Dissenters in 1822 (engraving circa 1841 on the left). It was later
used by Independents, and then the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion,
unsuccessfully. It became an Anglican mission in 1846-1900, but was abandoned
and demolished after 1908.
The Knights Templar Round Church stands on the
southern side of Citadel Road at the junction with Western Close, on the
secluded Western Heights. Originally known as the Poor Knights of Christ
and the Temple of Solomon, the Knights Templar originated in Jerusalem in
1118. This church was one of their earliest properties when the Order reached
England in 1128, built possibly as a last place to ask for a blessing before
setting sail. The chancel is nearest the camera.
The church was modelled on the Templar headquarters on
Temple Mount in Jerusalem. The floorplan also matches that of the Temple Church
in London. It seems mostly likely that the Templars built their Preceptory at
Temple Ewell before opening the Round Church on land they owned on the Heights.
The tower may have served as a landmark for shipping. Its remains were discovered
during the construction of the 1806 fortifications in preparation for invasion
Belgrave Road Methodist Chapel is on the eastern
side of the street, just north of Longfield Road, in the Maxton district.
In 1874, the Round Tower Street Chapel was built near where Methodists
had their first preaching place in Dover. But when the Dover & Deal Railway
was built in 1879, the chapel was purchased and demolished. The displaced members
used a hall in Snargate Street until they were able to built the present chapel
in 1882. It closed in the early 2000s.
Maxton Tabernacle filled a plot between Folkestone
Road and Churchill Road in Maxton. The Reverend Thomas Russell, one of the
pioneers of the Primitive Methodist Connexion, built the Barnsley-Smith House
in 1874 (on the right here), and the tabernacle on the land behind it. Also
known as Barnsley Smith Tabernacle, most of it was demolished, although
a stub remains (the white section at the back of the house) while a block of
flats was built over the rest.
St Martin of Tours is Maxton's parish church,
lying inside the steeply-rising v-junction formed by Church Road and Cow
Lane (at the tree line). The church was probably erected between 1890-1910,
if not a little later. It has never had its own burial ground, as churchyards
ceased to be used in the mid-1800s. Also in Dover was a Friends Meeting
House (Quakers), in an end-of-terrace house purchased in 1955, opened in
1858, and converted to a private dwelling about 1974.
Three photos on this page contributed by Dover