St Nicholas at Wade Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
stands on the eastern side of Down Barton Road, near Bridges Close
junction, in St Nicholas at Wade, which itself is near Birchington in
Kent. The chapel was constructed by the Wesleyan Methodists in 1822,
and it was certainly still in use in 1881, according to the Ordnance
Survey map. It may have closed in the late 1960s, probably when it was
replaced (see below). The building is now a private residence.
St Nicholas at Wade Methodist Church, Manor
Hall stands on the western side of Manor Road, approximately
forty metres (yards) north of the turning for Manor Lea Road. This
is a little way to the east of the former Wesleyan chapel in the
village (see above), and this plan red brick building was probably a
direct replacement for that earlier chapel. In 1936 there was also a
Brethren Meeting Room in St Nicholas at Wade, but its history
and fate are unknown.
Sarre Primitive Methodist Chapel stands
some way back from the north-eastern side of Old Road in Sarre, near
Minster, at the end of a short L-shaped side path about fifty metres
(yards) from the Island Road junction. This chapel was founded at an
unknown date, possibly in the mid or late 1800s. Now it is a private
residence, and little of it can be seen behind the thick tree cover
without being intrusive and stepping directly into what is now a
St Mary Magdalene Monkton stands alongside
Monkton Court, on the southern side of Monkton Street, roughly midway
between the A253 and Millers Lane in Monkton, near Minster. The village
was recorded in Domesday in 1086 as Monocstune ('Monks' town'), as it
was a possession of the priory of Christchurch in Canterbury. The
present church was built in the late twelfth century, although given
the link with Canterbury there may have been an earlier church here.
The church is set up high on a hill overlooking
what was once the Wantsum Channel and is extremely exposed to winds.
The building was reduced in size and altered in the fifteenth century.
This was probably when the five-bay north arcade was removed, following
the withdrawal of the monks from the area. The church now consists of
chancel, and nave with north porch and a three-stage west tower. The
north porch was restored in 1860, along with other elements.
Monkton Methodist Church lies in a very
narrow plot on the northern side of Monkton Street, approximately
130 metres (yards) east of the Willets Hill junction in Monkton.
The small chapel building existed before 1913, at which time the
site was open on both sides, with no neighbouring buildings. The
narrow street was gradually built up over the subsequent century
during which the church remained operational, so that today it is
a tricky subject to photograph.