History Files
 

 

Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of Warwickshire

by Peter Kessler, 18 April 2010

 

 

South Warwickshire Part 17: Churches of Welford-on-Avon & Weston-on-Avon

St Peter

St Peter, Welford-on-Avon, is on the western side of Church Lane, at the junction with Boat Lane. This parish was originally partly in Gloucestershire and partly in Warwickshire, but by the Transfer Order of 1931 Welford-on-Avon was fully incorporated into Warwickshire. An ancient ford across the nearby river probably used the church tower as a landmark after it was first constructed in the twelfth century, although only the tower's lowest part stood at that time.

St Peter

The church belonged to Deerhurst Priory when it was first built. The tower's second stage was added in the early thirteenth century as the original bell chamber. It was raised much more in the fifteenth century and is tall compared to the rest of the church. The chancel was rebuilt and enlarged about 1330-1340 and larger windows were later inserted in the aisles. In 1884 the tower was damaged by fire but its walls were left standing and it was repaired the following year.

All Saints

All Saints, Weston-on-Avon, lies on the northern side of the cul-de-sac which leads east from the nearby junction in the village. Records of the early history of Weston-on-Avon's church appear to have been lost, or else were not written at all. By 1290 it was in the gift of the bishop of Worcester, and a vicarage had been established by 1291. In 1407 Bishop Richard granted the church to the Cistercian nuns of the house of St Mary Magdalene, Whistones (Worcestershire).

All Saints

No grant of the advowson after the Dissolution is known, but by 1604 it was in the hands of Sir Edward Grevill, and has remained attached to the manor ever since. Weston Mauduit Chapel is also mentioned before 1269, when its chaplain resigned. It was again mentioned in 1283, but no later reference to it has been found. The construction of the present All Saints church dates from the late fifteenth century, consisting of a chancel, nave, south porch, and west tower.

All Saints

The chancel was built separately from the nave and may be a little later. There was also a south chapel or aisle which had two bays. When it was destroyed is uncertain, but it was probably in the seventeenth century, judging from the windows set in the original arcade. The low tower was built in one stage, and houses a single bell. The south porch was added in the early eighteenth century, and the church was restored in 1899.

All photos on this page contributed by Aidan McRae Thomson.

In Depth
In Depth
 

 

     
Copyright
Images and text copyright all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.