The latest web browsers are making it impossible to avoid
providing a fully secure website, but unfortunately that costs. The History Files
is a non-profit site and hosting fees are also an issue, so we need your help.
Please click anywhere inside this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that
we can continue to provide highly detailed historical research on a fully secure
site. If every visitor donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs
in a day! Your support is highly appreciated.
St Michael's Church (Miikaeli kirik in
Estonian) is at Keskväljak 1 (Central Square) in the town of Keila,
a few kilometres west of Saue. A spacious square chapel was
established about 1280 at 'Keila Hill', under the chancel of the
present church. The fragments of paintings which survive on the chancel
walls possibly date to this period. The main body of the present
church was built around the chapel in the early fourteenth century,
influenced by Dominican building styles.
The church was the largest in Harju County,
controlled by Tallinn's Dome Church until 1452. The tower was added
in the 1480s, but the church was virtually destroyed during the
Livonian Wars in 1558. Restoration was carried out in 1596. A
neo-Gothic rose window was added to the southern wall in 1851 and
the steeple was decorated with arch motifs and symbols of the
evangelists. Wheel crosses and funeral chapels of local German landlords
lie in the churchyard.
Keila Methodist Church (Keila Metodisti
koguduse) is at Põllu 5, on the northern side of Paldiski maantee in
Keila. The church was founded with its first public service on 24
April 1993 in rooms at Keila Construction Office, Paldiski mnt 28a,
and gained its own pastor on 13 August of the same year. The present
church was built at a later, unspecified date, and the congregation
became allied to that of Peoria First United Methodist Church in the
state of Illinois in the USA.
Keila Baptist Church (Keila Baptistikogudus)
is at Haapsalu mnt 10, on the northern side of the street. There is
no information available on the church's founding, although the
building was probably put up shortly after independence in 1991. The
premises are also shared by Keila Seventh-Day Adventists.
This congregation was founded on 12 December 2005 by the thirteen
original members, and now flourishes as part of the town's
St Nicholas' Church (Nikolai kirik)
is at Mere 12 in the town of Paldiski, overlooking the industrial
harbour. The church was built in 1842 in the Classicist style. It
consists of a nave only, with a low tiled roof and small bell tower
just behind the main doors. The church was closed during the Soviet
era, between the Russian reoccupation of Estonia in 1944 and
departure in 1991. During that time, Paldiski served as the Nuclear
Submarine Training Centre for all of Soviet Russia.
Paldiski remained a closed town throughout the
Soviet period, with few people from elsewhere in Estonia allowed
authorisation to enter. When the Soviets left, the nuclear reactors
were removed and the town opened. The congregation reclaimed their
church and refurbished it. The altar painting, 'Resurrection', which
was created in 1888, has been preserved, but by 2010 the old windows
were making the interior cold and damp during the long Estonian