St Peter's Church, Laindon (North) used to
sit at the north-west corner of St Nicholas Lane in its old format
(pre-roundabout) and Claremont Road (now truncated at Church Mews).
This wooden church was opened in 1934 as the area saw increasing
plot development. The post-war era saw a new town construction take
over from the former, less centralised organisation of development,
and the church closed and was demolished around 1969, now surplus to
Manor Mission Church stands on the
southern side of Manor Road, at its western end from the High Road.
In 1902 nonconformists began holding services and a Sunday school at
a rented hall known as Manor Hall. They had close links with the
Nightingale Mission in Langdon Hills. In 1924 an independent but
undenominational church was established in Manor Hall. They were
soon able to open their own chapel here on Manor Road, in 1926. A
hall was added in 1930.
Temple of Light Christian Spiritualist Church
is on the eastern side of Bedford Road in Laindon, fifty metres
north of the Durham Road junction. In 1937 Thomas Price joined a
spiritualist group. In 1967 he was amazed to find they had no local
church, so he went about building one on a site rented from the
corporation, with the help of donations and volunteer labour. The
work went slowly but the chapel was completed in 1973, when Thomas
was aged seventy-one.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day
Saints sits on the southern side of Laindon Link, just a hundred
metres east of the junction with Mellow Purgess Close. This part of
Basildon was open fieldland at the start of the twentieth century,
when the small plotland development of the district had already
begun. By the Second World War period that development meant that
the church would have sat in the middle of what used to be the
semi-developed Albert Drive.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses also
sits on the south-western side of the curve of Laindon Link, framed
to the north by Tyler Avenue and to the south by Somercotes. The
latter street is the post-war rebuild of a much longer street called
Buckingham Road, while the hall's site formed the south-western
corner of the land surrounding Bluehouse Farm (the present community
association buildings lay immediately to the west of the former farm
St Michael's Mission Church, Lee Chapel (Second Site)
stood on the western side of the now-lost Green Lane. The area has
been redeveloped to the extent that Green Lane itself no longer
exists. What was Green Lane at the point at which the chapel was
situated is now the short north-south section of Raleigh Drive shown
here. The church's first site was on Salisbury Avenue (see below),
replaced by this one in 1935. A wooden building, it was demolished
in the 1960s.
St Michael's Mission Church, Lee Chapel (First
Site) was sited on Salisbury Avenue, probably towards its
eastern end which is now heavily wooded between Mandeville Way and
the railway. The modern remainder of the alignment of Salisbury
Avenue is the footpath shown here which disappears into the trees.
The railway company acquired land here, near the line, in the
expectation that London would expand here. The chapel opened in 1930
and closed in 1935.
St Paul's Methodist Church is located at
the south-west corner of the Ballard's Walk junction with the
Teagles cul-de-sac in the Lee Chapel North district. The church
opened its doors in 1968 and continues to serve its local
congregation to this day. The modern, multi-purpose building has a
hall that is used extensively by a variety of community groups, plus
a kitchen and two small meeting rooms. It is unclear whether this is
an extension of Trinity Methodist Church in Vange.
Ebenezer Gospel Hall stood at the
north-east corner of Elizabeth Drive and Raleigh Drive, both gone.
The closest point is about a hundred metres north of Wickhay, along
the row of houses (in the background here) overlooking St Anne Line
RC School playing fields. The church began in 1924 in a Sunday
school hut, timber-framed. In 1926 that was replaced by the building
shown here. The land was compulsory purchased in 1962 and Ingaway
Church replaced it (see links).
The Most Holy Trinity Catholic Church in
the parish of Our Lady and All Saints sits on the southern side of
Wickhay, facing out over Laindon Link to its south. It had very
humble beginnings in late 1958, when priests from St Basil's held
masses in the centre of Basildon. Between 1960-1963 a new community
hall at Kingswood was used, and by 1963 the parish had its own hall,
at Roundacre. In 1972 a hall was built at here Wickhay, and the
church was constructed in 1980.
Six photos on this page by P L Kessler (from
2011), with one kindly contributed by Ken Porter of Basildon
Borough Heritage Society, and one by Ingaway Church.