All Saints Church, Chigwell Row lies on the
eastern side of Romford Road, just below the Lambourne Road crossroads.
Chigwell Row appeared on maps as early as 1645, part of the parish of
Chigwell, or 'king's well'. In 1860 the separate parish of Chigwell Row
was formed, and land that had been part of Hainault Forest was given for
a church. Architect J P Seddon, whose other work includes Cork Cathedral,
came up with an initial plan that was too expensive.
His second attempt produced the present yellow brick
church with Godalming stone facing and walls a metre (three feet) thick.
Completed in 1867, there was no tower. The stone front wall replaced an
iron fence in 1895, and a lych gate was added in 1933. Finally, in 1903,
the tower was added, supplying space for the baptistery. Initially six
bells were installed by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry. with a further
two being added in 1928. Electric lighting was installed in 1954.
Chigwell Row United Reformed Church sits
on the northern side of Lambourne Road, close to Grove Road. Built
in the Georgian style in yellow brick with white stone edgings, it
opened as an Independent chapel on 31 May 1804. Closed in 1857
after experiencing difficulties, in May 1858 it was reopened as
Chigwell Row Congregational Church with the help of the Essex
Congregational Union. By 1952, the church was a United Free Church,
but by 2010 had become URC.
St Mary the Less Church occupies the south-west
corner of Roding Lane and the High Road in the centre of Chigwell, although
'the Less' is absent from the modern church notice board. It was nearly a
century after William the Conqueror seized Chigwell's Woolston Manor that
the Norman church was built by Ralph Britto, in 1160. That church still
remains (the handsome flint section nearest the camera), along with the
Lady Chapel (far left) and original doorway.
The north aisle (the plain brown section nearest the
camera) and chancel were added in 1887 by Sir Arthur Blomfield, a leading
Victorian architect. The bell cote was probably added at the same time.
A handsome collar-beam roof was fitted above the nave, and the old church
became the present Lady Chapel and south aisle. Inside, the fine ceiling,
pulpit and rederos were all designed by George F Bodley, as were the beautiful
'Angels' panels which now hang at the west door.
Chigwell School Chapel lies behind the main
school buildings on the High Street and is visible from the north
side of Roding Lane. Chigwell School was founded in 1629 by Samuel
Harsnett, archbishop of York, and the present school is a descendant
of that, after going through several different incarnations. The
simple red brick chapel, seen on the righthand side of the photo,
was added in 1924. Pupils and staff in the school attend services in
the chapel twice a week.
Five photos on this page by P L Kessler, and one
by ICT Essentials/Chigwell School.