The Church of the Holy Innocents High Beach
stands at the southern end of the triangle between Avey Lane and Mott
Street, High Beach, in the middle of Epping Forest. The church began
as St Paul's Church, built in 1836 on a site near Lippitts Hill,
to the south-west. The site was poorly chosen, so in 1873 the present
church was built in the Early English style to designs by architect
Arthur Blomfield. St Paul's continued to handle weddings until it
finally closed in 1883.
The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin Theydon
Bois stands atop the hill on the north-western side of Piercing
Hill and Coppice Row in Theydon Bois. The original church lay to the
south-east, along the road between Theydon Bois and Abridge. St
Mary's (Old) Church existed by the twelfth century, but by the
nineteenth century it was no longer as central to the village as it
may earlier have been so the decision was taken to demolish it and
build a new church.
The new church was built in the heart of the village
in 1844. Soon afterwards defects began to appear which became so serious
that the decision was taken to demolish the building and rebuild. A new
architect was engaged, Sidney Smirke, who designed the Reading Room at
the British Museum, and the present red-brick church was completed in 1850.
It has a central aisle, choir and sanctuary, several stained glass windows,
and a copper-clad spire with three bells.
Theydon Bois Baptist Church stands at the
south-western corner of The Green and Avenue Road in Theydon Bois.
In 1834 the house of James Cavill was licensed for the worship of
Protestant dissenters. A Baptist church was founded about 1885. In
1900 it had twenty members and sixty Sunday school children. The
building was brown brick with round-headed windows, built in 1894.
It was later altered and restored before being replaced by the present
building in 1962.
All Saints Church Theydon Garnon stands some
way back from the western side of Coopersale Lane, midway between the
M11 and Hobbs Cross Road, to the immediate east of Theydon Bois. The
name Theydon Garnon comes from the Norman family descended from Robert
de Gernon. One of his descendants married the daughter of Henry de Taydon
in Henry III's reign. The church was built in its rural spot near Garnons
Hall as the old London road ran past the site.
All Saints was originally one of the two main parishes
of Epping along with All Saints Epping Upland. The building is still the
original, although greatly refurbished over the years. The church was
probably built in the thirteenth century, while the tower was apparently
completed in 1520. The north aisle and porch were built in 1644, along
with the frames for the gabled dormer windows above the porch. These were
largely remodelled in the nineteenth century.