The Church of St Andrew, Rochford, lies
midway between the southern side of Hall Road and the River Roach,
around 260m due west of the railway line. It is a typical example
of church building of the thirteenth century, largely rebuilt in the
fourteenth and fifteenth centuries in Kentish ragstone. The imposing
brick tower was added in the sixteenth century. The thickness of the
east wall of the nave and the north wall of the west arcade suggest
an earlier origin here.
The Church of St Mary the Virgin, Foulness
Island, is at the north-west corner of Old Hall Farm, under two
hundred metres east of the River Roach. The site was originally
occupied by a medieval chapel that was re-established by Lady Joan
de Bohun in 1386. That was replaced by a timber-framed church which
itself was replaced by this building, constructed around 1853 by
William Hambley. It is of Kentish ragstone with stone dressings
and a somewhat unusual south tower.
Foulness Island is owned by the Ministry of
Defence, and a permit is required for visitors. There are some
farms, a few houses, the empty church, and a closed pub. Open days
are held a few times each year. The church was closed before 2010.
Soon after that the structure was declared unsafe and scaffolding
was erected around it. In 2016 part of it was put up for sale with
planning permission to create a luxury apartment within the
The Church of St Nicholas, Great Wakering,
is on the east side of the junction between New Road and Common
Road. A Norman building, it was constructed around 1100. According
to medieval tradition, Wakering (probably Great Wakering) was the
site of a Wakering Priory during the AD 600s, clearly
predating the present building. The nave and chancel formed the
initial building, with the lower stage of the tower being added
later in the same century.
The buttress between the west porch and the
tower was added between 1130 and 1140. The upper part of the
tower was built towards the end of the twelfth century. There is
fifteenth century window in its west wall, and another above the
clock on the south wall. The lower stage of the Norman tower is
used as the vestry. The upper part of the sixteenth century south
porch, originally the priest's chamber, is reached by a narrow
staircase. A lady chapel was built in 1843.
Four photos on this page kindly contributed by
Douglas Law and one by Howard Somerville, all via the 'History
Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group.