History Files History Files
 
 

 

Modern Britain

Gallery: Churches of Derbyshire

by Peter Kessler, 25 September 2020

Derby City Part 1: Churches of Darley & Chaddesden

Church of St Michael Queen Street, Derby City, Derbyshire

The Church of St Michael Queen Street is at the south-west corner of the junction between St Michael's Lane and Queen Street. A church existed on this site by in 1240, but the chancel collapsed on 17 August 1856 which prompted the building of the present church, starting in 1857 and opening in 1858. The new church retained some features of the old, such as the royal arms of Queen Anne in the north aisle. The new church closed in 1977 and was converted into offices.

Nottingham Road Cemetery Chapels, Derby City, Derbyshire

Nottingham Road Cemetery Chapels, Chaddesden, are on the south side of the road, opposite the Cumberland Road turning at the east end of the chapel. The site was opened in 1855 as the city's first municipal cemetery. The entrance buildings are in the Gothic style, in pale yellow-grey ashlar with grey slate roofs. The Anglican chapel on the eastern side of the entrance (to the left here) was still in use in 2001. The nonconformist chapel to the west is now a store.

Photos on this page kindly contributed by Ben Abel and Douglas Law, both via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles' Flickr group. Additional information by Ben Abel.

 

 

     
Images and text copyright © all contributors mentioned on this page. An original feature for the History Files.