St Mildred's Church, Whippingham, is on
the outside of the south-west corner of Beatrice Avenue, as it turns
north towards East Cowes. The first church on this site was Saxon,
named for St Mildred (died AD 725), daughter of the abbess of the
minster on the Isle of Thanet. Mildred succeeded her mother as
abbess and was later abbess of Canterbury. There are some basic
remains of the Saxon building on the west wall of the present
porch, showing knights on horseback.
This first church building was replaced by a
Norman building by 1086 as it is this that appeared in Domesday
Book. The renowned architect, John Nash, rebuilt it in the early
1800s, but when Queen Victoria bought first Osborne House and then
the property of Lady Isabella Blachford she thought the church too
small and not at all to her liking. A new chancel was added in 1857
at the queen's expense and for royal use, and the rest of the church
was rebuilt (again) in 1860.
Holy Cross Church, Binstead, is at the
outer north-west corner of the junction between Church Road and
Ladies Walk. It was built mainly in the eleventh and twelfth
centuries, probably close to the houses of a medieval village that
has since been lost but which would have been associated with the
nearby quarries. Modern Binstead stands some distance from it. Much
of the chancel is of herringbone masonry. The nave was replaced in
1844 and enlarged in 1875.
Old St Boniface Church, Bonchurch, stands
at the eastern end of Bonchurch Village Road, about two hundred
metres south-east of St Boniface (New) Church. The nave and chancel
date from the eleventh century, with the bell cote dating from the
sixteenth century, as does the bell. The south porch was added in
the nineteenth century. The church was replaced by the new church
in 1848 but despite contemporary discussions about demolition it
managed to survive.
The Parish Church of St Andrew Chale,
is at the north-west corner of the Military Road and Church Place
junction. It was founded by Hugh Gendon in Chale in 1114 and
dedicated to St Andrew at the same time. However, the present
building dates largely from the fourteenth century, which is when
the tower was added. It has six bells in its tower, and one of these
may have been made about 1360. The Victorians undertook a course of
major alterations and extensions.
All Saints Church, Calbourne, can be found
on the eastern side of Lynch Lane, about thirty metres north of the
Winkle Street turning. The building dates mainly to the thirteenth
century, but the south-west tower was rebuilt in 1752 and the North
Chapel, or Barrington Chapel, was added in 1842 by A F Livesay who
began restoring the church in 1836. The building, with its four-bay
nave, is generally in Isle of Wight stone rubble with some
flintwork and tiled roofs.
All photos on this page kindly contributed by
Douglas Law via the 'History Files: Churches of the British Isles'
Flickr group. Additional information by Douglas Law.