Last year our first donation drive was a complete success,
thanks to some wonderful people who helped us gain a security certificate and meet
some of the increasing web hosting costs. This year, that certificate needs to be
renewed and another round of hosting costs need to be supplimented. As the History
Files is a non-profit site it still needs your help. Please click anywhere inside
this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that we can continue to provide
highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. If every visitor
donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs in a day! Your support
is highly appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£130
Gallery: Churches of East London
by Peter Kessler, 7 March 2010. Updated 28
Holy Trinity Church is at the top end of
Hermon Hill, on the corner with South View Drive in South Woodford.
Unusually, the church faces north-east to south-west. In 1880, it
was decided that South Woodford's rapidly expanding population
required an additional parish church. Earl Cowley generously donated
the current site on the 'east of Chigwell Road', and a temporary iron
church was purchased which had previously served St Michael's, Camden
Road in 1879.
The iron church opened on Sunday 5 March 1882
while construction of the permanent neo-Gothic church in Ancaster
stone went on alongside it. On 2 June 1887, the nave was consecrated,
with the remainder following on 27 September 1890. It was decided not
to complete the tower and spire (visible on the far right here) due
to insufficient foundations, and the south aisle was never built,
presumably due to a lack of funds. The organ came from St Mary's,
Woodford Baptist Church is on the south
side of George Lane, 110 metres or so to the west of Holy Trinity.
A Baptist school-chapel was opened here in 1883, and three years
later a minister was settled. In 1895-1896 the present stone church
in the thirteenth century style was built in front of the school-chapel,
on a plot that was still very open, just before about half the
congregation seceded to form the short-lived Eastwood Road Baptist
Church nearby (from 1896 until 1903).
Beechcroft Road Church is a small building
which lies on the northern side of the eponymous road, close to George
Lane. A Congregational mission was established in 1870 in a cottage in
nearby Victoria Road, and two years later a temporary iron church was
erected at the corner of Daisy Road, on the site now occupied by the
Salvation Army citadel (see below). A further Congregational mission
room was opened here in Beechcroft Road in 1907 and is still in use.
The Salvation Army citadel sits inside the
corner of Daisy Road and Cowslip Road. A Congregational mission was
established here in 1872 in a temporary iron church. Though the
building was twice enlarged, a bigger one was soon needed and
Woodford Congregational Church was founded nearby in 1886 (at the top
end of George Lane). The 'tin chapel' was used by the Salvation Army
from 1886. They purchased the site in 1906 and built the present brick
citadel in 1907.
Latchett Evangelical Church is at the
northern end of Cowslip Road and then Mulberry Way, on the corner of
Maybank Road and Latchett Road, but divided from the rest of South
Woodford by the carriageways of the North Circular. It was started
in an iron church by Baptists from the failed Eastwood Road church
in 1903 as South Woodford Free Church. This church also
failed, in 1920, and the site was taken by the Brethren in 1933.
They continue there today.