Last year our first donation drive was a complete success,
thanks to some wonderful people who helped us gain a security certificate and meet
some of the increasing web hosting costs. This year, that certificate needs to be
renewed and another round of hosting costs need to be supplimented. As the History
Files is a non-profit site it still needs your help. Please click anywhere inside
this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that we can continue to provide
highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. If every visitor
donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs in a day! Your support
is highly appreciated.
Target for 2019: £0£130
Gallery: Churches of East London
by Peter Kessler, 7 March 2010
Redbridge Part 9: Churches of Woodford Bridge &
Canfield Chapel, Woodford Bridge, is on the
western side of Canfield Road, one of a set of quiet residential streets
on the eastern side of the M11. This modest chapel was built in 1939 to
serve as a small, independent church. In 1944 the Christian Brethren
arrived to utilise the chapel as an extension of their work in Latchett
Evangelical Church, which they had taken over in 1933. Today
Canfield Chapel is part of the Evangelical Alliance.
Chigwell & Hainault Synagogue is on the
eastern side of Limes Avenue on the Limes Avenue Estate. The synagogue
was formed in 1968 when the thriving community, which had met in a house
in Chigwell for five years, merged with the well-established Hainault
community which was founded in 1950. In 2007 they celebrated their
thirtieth anniversary at the Limes Avenue address, with around 750 members
more than tripling the number they had when they arrived.
Hainault Baptist Church lies on the western side
of Franklyn Gardens, which is also on the western side of the railway at
Hainault. The church was started in 1938, and during the war meetings were
held in the pavilion of a playing field and then in the home of a member.
A tent mission resulted in a large increase in membership immediately after
the war, a minister was appointed, and in 1948 the present church was built
in this quiet side road off New North Road.
The Catholic Church of the Assumption is
on the southern side of Manford Way, midway between the opposing junctions
of Fallow Close and Tuffer Road in Hainault on the eastern side of the railway.
The church was founded in 1952 after a loan was secured a loan to buy
its first manse, and the Reverend Ralph Ashmore began an active
preaching and pastoral ministry. The completed red brick building
was opened in 1953, with the first service being held in November.
The Sanctuary Christian Fellowship utilises
the Hainault Forest Community Association buildings at 100b Manford Way,
adjacent to the Catholic church and divided from it by the local library.
The buildings are not dedicated to the church, and like most buildings
in this area they date to the early 1950s construction boom which
created the housing estate here. The only sign that The Sanctuary
meets here are the banners on the main fence.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses is
also on the southern side of Manford Way, a little way east of The
Sanctuary and almost opposite Fernie Close, part of the estate which
was built here to replace the many East End houses that were
destroyed during the Second World War. The London Barkingside
Congregation, a large Jehovah's Witness community, made its base
here and put up this building, which is a little more attractive
than their standard modern red brick box halls.