Christ Church is on Francis Road, Leyton.
A true urban church, it is almost one with the surrounding terraced
housing. It started with the Phillibrook mission in Leytonstone, in
connection with Leyton's St Mary's Church, and later with St Catherine's
Church on Fairlop Road in Leytonstone. An iron room was built here in
1885, and was enlarged in 1887 and 1892. The present brick church,
designed by Sir Arthur Blomfield & Sons, was opened in 1902, next
to the mission.
To the right of the main doors a foundation stone
reads: 'This stone was laid by the Right Honourable Viscount Portman
May 31st 1902'. However, funds were difficult to raise in this poor
district and only the nave and south aisle were built, with a
temporary east wall of iron built in the chancel arch. Christ Church
gained its own parish in 1904. In 1959 the east wall (facing out
towards the road) was permanently bricked and an east window
St Eleftherios Greek Orthodox Church is
at 113 Ruckholt Road in Leyton. It started in 1901 as an Anglican
iron mission building to serve the westernmost parts of the parishes
of Holy Trinity and St Catherine's churches. In 1914, the permanent
Church of St Luke was built in grey terracotta. The north-west
tower remained incomplete. The church was badly damaged in the Second
World War but was subsequently restored, and was later passed onto
the Greek church.
Leyton Trinity Methodist Church lies on
High Road Leyton at the corner with St Mary's Road. A smaller, older
hall lies immediately behind the main building on St Mary's Road,
and is just visible here underneath the no entry sign. Although
there was a Primitive Methodist church established in the early
twentieth century on the corner of the High Road and Etchingham
Road, this later closed, and no history for Trinity Church itself
can be found - for old building or new.
The Redeemed Christian Church of God, Adonai
Ambassadors Assembly meets inside the Legacy Business Centre on
Ruckholt Road, next to Leyton Library, and is a branch of the same
church that operates 'Redemption Parish' from further north in Leyton
and a parish in Folkestone. The church was founded in Lagos in 1952
by Pa Akindayomi, a Nigerian who had become disillusioned with Cherubim
and Seraphim Church. The church exploded out into Europe from 1981.
The Fountain of Life Church on Ashville
Road is a branch of the International Pentecostal Holiness Church.
It began life as a mission for Fillebrook Baptist Church, Fairlop
Road, Leytonstone, in 1888. At first it was the Grove Green mission,
later it was the Ashville Baptist Mission. It gained a hall
in 1892 and membership rose from 37 in 1878 to over 500 by 1902. In
1903 total Sunday attendances were 1,169, the second highest locally
for all denominations.
A new additional Ashville Hall was built in 1923.
Membership was still over 500 in 1936. After the Second World War,
though Fillebrook continued to be the largest Baptist church in Leyton,
membership fell, from 468 in 1946 to 212 by 1966. The Ashville mission
closed and the newer Ashville Hall was sold to the Brethren in 1947, and
much more recently to the International Pentecostal Holiness Church.
The old Ashville Hall was also sold by 1949 and was used as a factory
Christian Hope Ministries lies on Morley
Road, midway between Christ Church Leyton and Elim Pentecostal Church.
In 1901 a mission in connection with St Mary's was opened in Claude
Road. In 1902 a small site was acquired in Morley Road and the mission
continued in a tent there and in neighbouring cottages until 1905, when
the permanent Church of St Edward was built here. It gained its
own parish 1933, but the church was closed in 1968 and the building sold
Hainault Road Baptist Church, towards
the north of Leyton, began life in 1880 when Strict Baptists began
to meet for worship in Park Terrace, Church Road in Leyton. They moved
to Goldsmith Road (off Church Road) in 1882, and from 1894 services
were held in Wilmot Road, in a chapel bought from the Primitive
Methodists. In 1895 an organised church was formed with H E Bond as
pastor, but after he left in 1896 it was without a pastor for over
In 1903 total Sunday attendances of fifty-three
were among the lowest in the district. A full-time pastor was again
appointed in 1920. In 1926, when church membership was thirty-three,
the Hainault Road church building was constructed and opened. The
Sunday School building pictured here was opened on the other side
of the road in 1933, and is still in use. By 1946 membership of the
church was 148. In 1966 it was 75, but it continues in use despite
the low figures.