The Salvation Army (Apostolic Church)
is on the south side of Forest Road, between Jewel Road and Ruby Road.
Formerly Lloyd Park Methodist Church, it was opened in 1914 by
missionaries from the Lighthouse, incorporating shops for letting, but
it was severely damaged by bombing in 1940 and 1944. Services continued
until the church closed in 1956. The premises were sold to the Salvation
Army in 1958 and it was registered as the Citadel in 1961.
The Ministry of Restoration International
Pentecostal Church is on Higham Hill Road, which leads
northwards from Forest Road to Higham Hill itself. The church sits
on the eastern side of the road, halfway up the hill, on the corner
with Green Pond Road. The history of the site is confused and
sketchy, but it seems that the Quakers were here first. They opened
a small place of worship on Higham Hill from about 1870 to 1888,
which also served as a day school for local children.
Baptist services in the area originated in 1885,
in a shop on Higham Hill. The following year Boundary Road Baptist
Church opened a Higham Hill mission, although the location is
confused. A church was formed in 1896 and the present Higham Hill
Baptist Church was opened in 1904. That much at least can be
confirmed by the foundation stone which reads, '...laid by Mrs
Thomas Mathias of Putney on 26.5.1904'. Today the Baptist church
is a Pentecostal church.
St Andrew's Christian Centre on St
Andrew's Road consists of St Andrew's Parish Church and Higham Hill
Baptist Church. The two probably amalgamated after the Baptists gave
up their premises on Higham Hill in 1970, although the site
of their 1886 mission on this street has been lost. The Church of
St Andrew itself originated in 1871, when an iron mission church
was erected to serve this part of St John's parish. A brick hall
was built in Higham Hill Road in 1890.
A conventional district was formed for St Andrew
in 1908, which became a separate parish in 1911 when a permanent
church designed by Hoare & Wheeler was built on the site of the
old iron one. The church, a large aisled building of dark brown brick
with simple Gothic windows, was left incomplete at the east end
owing to a lack of funds. It was badly damaged by bombs in 1940 and
1944 and was closed in 1969, when the current church building was
Assemblies of the First Born Church
is on Bramley Close, which lies opposite St Andrew's Road. The site
was originally used by the Brethren. Higham Hill Gospel Hall
originated in 1887 and the present simple brick hall with plaster
facade was built in 1897. By 1937 membership was declining and in
1963 the hall was still associated with the Brethren, but no Sunday
services were being held. In 1970 the hall was occupied by the
Church of God, who remain there today.