Kingsgate Baptist Church lies on the
southern side of Catton Street, off Southampton Row, immediately
north of Holborn Underground station. A Baptist church was founded
here in 1736, known as Eagle Street Chapel until
1856 when the present building was erected on the same spot. A memorial
stone was placed on the corner of the main road by Alexander MacLaren,
president of the Baptist Union, on 24 April 1901. The church closed
well before 2010.
The Roman Catholic Church of St Anselm & St
Caecilia is on the corner of Twyford Place and Kingsway. Catholics
had been worshipping in the old Chapel of the Royal Sardinian Embassy
since before 1720. By the early 1800s it had openly become the parish church
for British Catholics who lived in the congested area around Lincoln's Inn
Fields. The present church, which was very much part of the famous Kingsway
development of the Edwardian era, opened in 1909.
Holy Trinity Kingsway lies a little set back on
the western side of Kingsway, almost opposite Holborn Underground station.
The church originally opened in 1829 as Holy Trinity Lincoln's Inn Fields.
It gained its parish and independence from St Giles-in-the-Fields in 1884.
Its site on Little Queen Street was greatly redeveloped as Kingsway in the
first decade of the twentieth century, and as a result the church gradually
came to be known by its later name.
Unfortunately, part of that redevelopment work
involved tunnelling operations underneath the church to construct
the Great Northern, Piccadilly & Brompton Railway (the present
Piccadilly Line). This undermined the church's foundations and it
had to be demolished. The present building was its replacement, put
up in 1909-1911. In 1938 the church absorbed the parish of St John
Drury Lane, but falling congregations meant that it too had to be
closed, the axe falling in 1986.
Lincoln's Inn Chapel lies at the rear of
Old Square, Lincoln's Inn. In 1619-1623 the present chapel was built
here to replace a former, small chapel which had become ruinous. One
of the four Inns of Court, Lincoln's Inn is situated to the south of
Holborn. Henry Lacey, earl of Lincoln, obtained the site about 1226,
demolishing the existing building to build a stately mansion for
his city residence. Sometime before his death in 1310 he introduced
the study of law here.
Gray's Inn Chapel stands within the grounds
of Gray's Inn Fields, on the eastern side, bordering Gray's Inn Road
in Holborn, with the rear window (shown here in 1892) visible from the
road. In 1314 the Priory & Convent of St Bartholomew in Smithfield
took responsibility for providing a priest to serve the chapel of the
manor of Portpoole, home of the de Greys family and later Gray's Inn.
Following rebuilding in 1893, the chapel suffered war damage and was
rebuilt in the 1950s.
The Church of St Alban the Martyr Holborn is
sandwiched between Baldwins Gardens and Brooke's Court, immediately to the
east of Lincoln's Inn Fields. The church was built by the architect William
Butterfield in 1863. He was a Gothic Revival architect who was associated
with the Oxford Movement (which was responsible for the Chapel of the House
of St Barnabas-in-Soho of 1846). The son of nonconformist parents, most of
his buildings were for religious use.
In April 1941 the church was largely destroyed by
firebombs during the Blitz. After the war Adrian Gilbert Scott (1882-1963),
who came from a family with a long tradition as architects, designed the
present building. but incorporated several features of the old building
that had survived the fire including the saddleback tower. The new church
was consecrated in 1961. The most prominent internal feature is the mural
on the east wall by the painter Hans Feibusch.
St Peter the Great Saffron Hill stood
probably near St Cross Street (shown on the right), but the exact
location is unknown. The church was built between 1830-1832, during the
northwards expansion of London. However, it stood unfavourably in
the narrow lane of the hill, surrounded by a close neighbourhood.
It was severely damaged during the Blitz, and its organ was
entirely destroyed. The remains of the building were subsequently
St Peter's Italian Catholic Church (Chiesa
Italiana di San Pietro) is on the northern side of Clerkenwell Road,
opposite the entrance to Hatton Garden. It is the oldest church for
Italians in London. Modelled on the Basilica of San Crisogono in Rome,
the church was consecrated in 1863. Architect John Miller Bryson worked
from plans drawn by Francesco Gualandi of Bologna. The church was restored
in 1959, following its return to Italian control, and again in 1995.
Eight photos on this page by P L Kessler, and one
kindly contributed by iTravel.co.uk.