Last year our first donation drive was a complete success,
thanks to some wonderful people who helped us gain a security certificate and meet
some of the increasing web hosting costs. This year, that certificate needs to be
renewed and another round of hosting costs need to be supplimented. As the History
Files is a non-profit site it still needs your help. Please click anywhere inside
this box to make a small donation via PayPal so that we can continue to provide
highly detailed historical research on a fully secure site. If every visitor
donated just a penny then we'd cover a year's running costs in a day! Your support
is highly appreciated.
St Joseph's Catholic Church, Colliers Wood,
is on the eastern side of High Street Collier's Wood, north of the
Underground station. Discussions had been taking place in the parish
of St Boniface, Tooting, since the early 1930s about dividing
the parish, which was considered too large. This church was built in
1966 and was consecrated by Archbishop Michael Bowen in 1979. Behind
it is a small shrine to Our Lady of Merton, based on the seal of the
former Merton Priory.
Christ Church Colliers Wood stands on the
eastern side of Christchurch Road, opposite Priory Road. The church
was built between 1873-1874, originally being named Christ Church
Singlegate. It was designed in the 'early English' Gothic style by
F and H Francis, built with yellow London stock bricks and Bath stone
dressings. It was consecrated on Ascension Day, 14 May 1874. In 1875
it gained a district chapelry, and this became a parish at a point
In 1944 a flying bomb fell in Fortescue Road,
destroying six houses, the vicarage and the church hall, and severely
damaging the church building. Reconstruction work included a new roof
and ceiling, a new south porch, complete reglazing and a new east window.
The work continued until 1953. More recently the name of the parish was
changed to its current form to reflect changes in population. In 1884 a
ring of six bells was installed in the tower; restored in 1934 and 2001.
Oasis Church is on the northern side of Fortescue
Road, close to the junction with Christchurch Road (behind the camera).
This international church is related to the Baptist Union of Great Britain
and to Partners in Harvest. Oasis Church began in 1990, meeting in a local
school and has gone from strength to strength, moving into the present
building in 1996. The church is now thinking about significantly extending
the size of the building as it has already been outgrown.
Rhema Church Ministries occupies a rather odd
building which faces out over Crusoe Road but also backs onto Pitcairn
Road behind it. The entrance, shown here, is on Crusoe Road, behind a
rough security fence and next door to a car repair shop. Rhema Church
London is a multicultural church whose headquarters are in Croydon, to
the south-east of Merton, with a congregation claimed to be in excess
of 2,000. The building is unlikely to have a long history of worship.
London Road Cemetery Chapel lies on the eastern
side of London Road, opposite Figge's Marsh, a large open green space in
the heart of Merton. The cemetery occupies 14.9 acres of land and opened
in April 1929. It is run and maintained by Merton Council. The cemetery's
chapel lies along the perfectly straight entrance road, deep in the heart
of the grounds. Inside is an electric organ, sound system and an induction
loop, plus seating for eighty people.