YOUR PICTURE GALLERY IS NOW LOADING...
St Mary & St Joseph Roman Catholic Chapel
occupies a large slice of the eastern end of Chapel Street, on its
northern side. It was built between 1822-1824 to replace the West
Walls Roman Catholic Chapel, and Chapel Street itself was laid out
to provide access to it. The chapel closed when it was replaced in
1891-1892 by the larger premises of Our Lady & St Joseph on Warwick
Square. Since then the old chapel has largely been reconfigured as a
Salvation Army Sands Meeting was held in
the former Matchbox Theatre on the Sands - this area later included
the cattle market between Newmarket Road and Hardwicke Circus,
immediately south of Eden Bridge (now under the dfs building).
Meeting here from its first arrival in Carlisle in 1880, the Army
was used to large meetings in the open air or in rented halls. It
left the Sands around 1894 to take over Annetwell Street
Congregational Church, remaining there for many decades.
The Railway Mission Hall was on the
northern side of East Tower Lane (formerly Tower Street), midway
along (to the left here, behind the bus stop). It began in the 1880s
to cater specifically for railway workers. The trigger was a Bible
study in a waiting room on Carlisle station. The mission hall was
built to accommodate 800 people, opening in 1910. It was later
demolished to make way for the Debenham's extension, while the
mission became Grace Evangelical Church.
St Alban's Chapel once sat beside the old
town hall on St Alban's Row (towards the left here) - the row itself
is marked by the arch on the northern side of the old town hall
building. The chapel may have had a pre-Norman foundation. Under the
Normans it became chantry but was dissolved in 1549 along with a
great many other such chapels across the country. Demolition
followed, but the chapel is commemorated in St Alban's Row and
perhaps the layout of Rosemary Lane.
The site of Fisher Street (Second) Quaker Meeting
is on the eastern side of Fisher Street, about fifteen metres south
of the St Mary's Gate junction - now (in 2019) The Arches coffee
shop. At the end of the 1600s attempts were made to re-establish a
Quaker meeting in Carlisle. Numbers soon increased, premises were
bough along Fisher Street (see below). This location replaced
it in 1776, enlarged in 1864. It was sold in 1962 in favour of a
third site on Fisher Street.
Methodist Central Hall stands on the
eastern side of Fisher Street, about thirty metres north-west of the
junction with Market Street. Methodists had moved into Fisher Street
in 1776 when they purchased the (first) Quaker Meeting rooms (see
the Wesleyan chapel entry, below). It was not until 1817 that they
were in a position, in terms of funds and a growing congregation, to
be able to build a larger hall on this side of the street (shown
here in a postcard of about 1912).
That first large hall of 1817 served the
Methodists well until 1922. Then it was demolished so that a far
grander building - the present one - could be erected using red
sandstone ashlar over a steel frame. This opened for services in
1923. Post-war, though, the situation changed. Attendances dropped
continuously and the cost of keeping the now too-large building
going were spiralling. Central Hall closed in 2006 and the
Methodists moved to a smaller location in the Tithe Barn.
Fisher Street Presbyterian Chapel stood on
the eastern side of Fisher Street, with the entrance to Spinner's
Yard on its south-eastern flank (the gap between the cream building
and the farther building with two green doors - the site of the
chapel). It was built in 1737 (or 1730), and replaced by a larger
building in 1894. From 1972 it was Fisher Street United Reformed
Church, but it was absorbed by the Church of Scotland in 1975.
The chapel was demolished in 1986.
Fisher Street (First) Quaker Meeting was
on the west side of Fisher Street, now 'The Brickyard', in Richmond
Memorial Hall. The first successful Quaker meeting in Carlisle at
the end of the 1600s (after the ending of the Abbey Close meeting)
proved so popular a chapel was built here in 1693. It remained in
use until a grander site was chosen in 1776 (above). This became
Fisher Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel until 1817 and then was
home to a Baptist meeting.
Carlisle Friends Meeting House (Quakers)
is on the south side of Castle Way, sandwiched between the West
Tower Street and Fisher Street turnings. The Quakers previously met
at two other locations along Fisher Street (see above), as well as
in Abbey Close (see links), but the cost of their twentieth century
home in what is now The Arches coffee shop proved to expensive. They
moved here in 1963, erecting the present building on part of their
old burial ground.
Nine photos on this page by Steve Bulman of 'The
Churches of Britain and Ireland', and one from the History Files